Unable to install OMV on Ubuntu 18.04 (dependency issue)

• Hi all,

I've installed Ubuntu 18.04 (upgrade from 16.04) and am trying to install OMV, but get the following -

root@box:~# gdebi openmediavault_4.1.15-1_all.deb
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    This package is uninstallable
    Dependency is not satisfiable: libjs-extjs6

Are there any workarounds / fixes?

Thanks for looking

• Offizieller Beitrag

You'd need to install Debian 9, the net install version. When Debian's optional software comes up, deselect the defaults, and select the SSH server and utilities.

With Debian 9 in place, you'll find the scripts you need -> here, to complete the install. (With the SSH server, you can copy and paste the scripts into the CLI.)

• Thanks for the link, but before I get too deep into that, I'm getting the same problem I had initially.

I'm using a VERY cheap server from SoYouStart, they offer an OMV install which I assume is a .ISO. Using this I couldn't select a device for shared folders. I'm now on Debian 9 and have the same problem.

The server has one drive and there's no option to add a second, am I wasting my time?

• When you installed Debian 9 how did you do it, and what partitioning choices did you make?

When you installed Debian 9 you should have done so with manual partitioning and left a big part of the disk unused by Debian. Then you could create another partition from that space that OMV would see as another disk device for user data.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The server has one drive and there's no option to add a second, am I wasting my time?

It depends on how far you're willing to take it. (I mean,, there's no other way to describe it.)

OMV doesn't allow data into it's "partition". (This is not a bad thing - it's a design concept that makes sense in server design. In any case,,,)
    OMV's "partition" only needs to be 16GB in size. Notionally, that would be /dev/sda1. You can have, potentially, several partitions in the same "block device" (a hard drive) with the second partition being /dev/sda2, etc., etc.

So, not knowing what you have hardware wise, if you can run Gparted on it (using a bootable USB drive or a usb connected CD/DVD drive with an ISO as the source) you could divide the block device (a single hard drive) into 2 partitions (16gb for OMV + the remainder in the 2nd partition named DATA).

BTW. Not knowing what you have hardware wise:
    If the BIOS of your server allows it, OMV would work just fine, if booted from a USB drive. That, in itself, would give you the needed 2nd drive (a boot drive) and the existing hard drive would be your data drive.

If we're talking about an ARM device, the guide explains how to burn an OMV image to an SD-card, or a USB drive. All that you would have to know, in advance, is which SBC/ARM device image to use from OMV's download archive. This could create your "boot" drive.

On the other hand, there are lots of possibilities for setting up a personal file server that are low cost. It depends on what you want to do and how much time you have to invest.

I just looked at SoYouStart prices:
    If I was you, even with "Storage server" ARM devices at $5 to 6 a month, I'd buy my own hardware and do away with the imposed limitations. (With that stated, note that I'm in the US where hard drives and hardware costs are a bit lower than they are in the EU.)

Regardless, I think you could buy a decent ARM platform AND a USB attached 500GB or 1TB drive for around, or under, $150 USD.

If you're obligated for a year or so, I'd look at the USB boot drive route. (A low cost way to make use of something you've already paid for.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I created a partition (/dev/sda3) which I intended OMV to use. I'd have to Google how to remove it, but do you think that OMV would now see the free space as available to it?

You need to create the file system from the CLI. Then OMV should be able to mount the filesystem

• I'm using a VERY cheap server from SoYouStart, they offer an OMV install which I assume is a .ISO. Using this I couldn't select a device for shared folders. I'm now on Debian 9 and have the same problem.

Just to clarify, are you using a virtual storage server from SoYouStart via their web console? In other words, you don't have physical access to the hardware? If so, and they offer OMV as an ISO, then it may be possible to install OMV by itself (not on top of a separate virtualized Debian install on top of Ubuntu). Unmodified OMV ISOs have the Debian OS already included with the setup scripts necessary to install both the OS and OMV on top of it.

If its possible, you may want to check and see if you can partition the "disk" via the SoYouStart web console first, and then install OMV. I've not used SoYouStart specifically, but some virtual hosts allow configuration of a single "disk" (which is often simply virtualized space on a much larger disk) ahead of time, to make it appear as multiple disks to the OS you eventually isntalll. The Web Console configuration is probably going to be transparent to OMV, so if you can configure there first, and then install. This would give you one less virtualized layer. Even if you still need an Ubuntu instance on the server, it may be easier to configure the "disk" via SoYouStart's web console, if they have that feature, and then install.

EDIT: So I just looked at SoYouStart's website, and it appears (for my region at least) that their Storage Server offerings all include only a single disk. But, they also offer "You can also opt for a version with Open Media Vault pre-installed in order to easily manage your NAS storage solution." which makes me wonder if their OMV offering isn't already tailored to take that single disk into account. i.e. They've already done the partitioning work as mentioned above in this thread, and when you install it will have separate OS and Data partitions set up for you already. If they only offer single disk solutions, AND they offer OMV, then I assume they've had to do some modifications. If you aren't too far along, you may wish to blow out the Ubuntu install and try their OMV offering by itself.

Again though, if you need to have that Ubuntu instance as well, you probably really are limited to configuring it yourself by hand.

Just trying to get by

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Markess ()

• Thanks for all replies

I've been trying to get this working with a SoYouStart storage server using their OMV install option. Been trying for a few days and just can't find any way to create shared folders so I'm giving up and creating NFS shares manually (which will be a lot easier)

• SoYouStart storage server

Just out of curiosity: Is this one of their ARM based offerings? If so I would really love to see the output of

Code
    cat /proc/device-tree/model
    uname -a

And one question pops up: if this is some storage server somewhere on the Internet... what's the purpose of NFS shares?

• To answer tkaiser's question first -

root@locker:~# cat /proc/device-tree/model
    Marvell Armada 375 Development Boardroot@locker:~#
    root@locker:~#
    root@locker:~# uname -a
    Linux locker.trisect.eu 4.9.2-armada375 #1 SMP Mon Jan 23 16:52:54 CET 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

...why not NFS? I'm trying to set up some remote backup storage for a server, why shouldn't I use NFS (seems the easiest option)?

Now to update -

I've given it one more try and have found an error (of my own making) that, now fixed, has enabled me to create shared folders. The latest problem is that although NFS is enabled it's not running. Also something called rrdcached is hammering the CPU (and has been for some time)

• Linux locker.trisect.eu 4.9.2-armada375

That's really bad. Kernel 4.9 is an LTS kernel and currently at version 4.9.145 released two days ago. The kernel your OMV instance is using hasn't been patched for over 23 months now so you're missing most probably already well above 1,000 fixes (many of them security related -- that's the purpose of LTS kernels -- once the active kernel development moves on only important fixes are backported -- 4.10 has been released 21 months ago so every new 4.9 version that has been released since then fixed important -- and often security relevant -- bugs).

The problem with 'Linux on ARM' is that unlike situation on x86 the distro maintainers almost always don't give a sh*t about updating the kernel which is really bad for devices exposed to the Internet. I only know of a few exceptions that take care of kernel updates (Armbian and Raspbian -- that's why I based all 'official' OMV images for ARM on either kernel support) but obviously the installation you're using suffers from this.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!