Slight difficulty understanding virtual login

• As I wait to finish my NAS build I am learning as I go with OMV4 by operating it in a Virtual Box environment. The other day Windows 10 Pro 64bit went through a notorious aggravating unwanted upgrade. In doing so it shut off the Virtual Box OMV4 application. Upon completing the upgrade and restarting OMV4 I find myself not fully understanding the [login]. I restarted OMV inside Virtual Box. It ran through its paces and finally ended up stopping at the [login] dos prompt. I then entered [admin] via the keyboard but could not enter the password I had assigned to OMV4 for Virtual Box login. The dos prompt simply would not receive the typed in characters. However, the server seems to be working as I can see and access my shared drives.

Even though my time in a virtual environment will be short lived until a direct NAS setup goes into play I am still curious to know if something is wrong with my virtual setup and it's refusal to accept a password entry. OR - am I simply not understanding that it is automatically in server mode for some reason that I don't have knowledge on. As you can see my OMV/computer terminology is suffering greatly from lack of familiarity. Sorry.

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• What you see is the CLI. You need to enter "root" as user and the password you created when you set up the installation.Admin is just for login in the GUI.

I wish I would have proofread my OP better. I meant to say [root] rather than [admin]. The problem is present with typing [root]. I wonder if the Virtual Box is remembering previous settings or something. I feel certain that I have been at this spot before the Windows 10 Update and was able to successfully type in both the login and the password. [root] types in just fine but when the prompt moves to the password the area will then not accept any keyboard entry except for the Enter key. Enter key returns a bad login attempt. Once again, I can see and access shared folders - thus, is it all running correctly or not? Confusing.

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• How do you determine, that the passwort area "doe not accept any keyboard entry"? On a linux shell login, the password input does not show any character. Just type in the required password - no character will be shown - and press enter.

• How do you determine, that the passwort area "doe not accept any keyboard entry"? On a linux shell login, the password input does not show any character. Just type in the required password - no character will be shown - and press enter.

Yes, I understand that. My determination comes from knowing I typed in the correct password and when I hit enter I get a return of [login Incorrect]. I'm still wondering if I am overthinking this somehow . . . because of the shared folders being available no matter. When I "X" out the window I select the "Save the machine state" option. Maybe I don't need to log back in because of that selection. If I discard and power off then restart I have the issue of not being able to login correctly, HOWEVER, the OMV virtual machine shows as "running". I still think I'm possibly not understanding the concept/function somehow of Linux, etc.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Kai ()

• Well, this was a wasted thread. I just discovered the problem was my fault in entering the wrong password. Sorry.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!