RAID Creation Fails Every Time With Failed to Execute Command On New Installation

• OMV 4.x
    • flmaxey wrote:

tkaiser wrote:

But not really helpful for those people who not visit the forum and ask (more than 2000 downloads per week for the RPi image -- how many of these users turn up here?)
      @votdev :
      @tkaiser has a legitimate point - most SBC users won't visit the forum looking for information on what not to do. The assumption would be, if it's possible to create a RAID array, it's OK.

However, there's a middle ground. Rather than stop the RAID creation process, a WARNING dialog could be popped up much like the box for deleting a shared folder. Something to the effect;

Using RAID on (certain) SBC's is not supported and comes with the risk of data loss. Continue?

Much like "delete" warnings, the above is fair notice before performing an operation that's known to be risky. This would be a service to unsuspecting users, while allowing hobbyists to do as they please.

Regards
      I still think this is a good idea (Even a post just about arm and raspberry pi) from the prospective that I can point people to this information from YouTube.
      Build, Learn, Create.

How to Videos for OMV

Post any questions to the forum, so others can benefit from your curiosity. :thumbsup:
      No private support.
    • macom wrote:

a hint in the notes at the download page on sourceforge
      This will be as useless as a warning dialog. Users will ignore this since they are told since a decade that the totally useless RAID-1 mode would provide data safety and/or data security (while it's only the try to provide data availability). Simply google for 'data safety raid 1' and you get the idea.

This whole 'mislead people to believe RAID-1 would provide data safety' is substantial part of the marketing efforts of SOHO NAS vendors, and media outlets spread this nonsense also since a decade.

All that helps is disabled RAID functionality on platforms where it will only cause harm (data loss and/or corruption). That applies to almost all the SBC platforms unfortunately.
    • tkaiser wrote:

All that helps is disabled RAID functionality on platforms where it will only cause harm (data loss and/or corruption). That applies to almost all the SBC platforms unfortunately.
      Anything we do to disable raid would be reverted by an OMV upgrade since Volker does not want to make the raid plugin a separate plugin.
      omv 4.1.19 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • I think the best will be that devices connected via USB are not displayed in the RAID creation dialog anymore. This is very easy to implement.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • votdev wrote:

I think the best will be that devices connected via USB are not displayed in the RAID creation dialog anymore. This is very easy to implement.
      I like this idea but we might need a note mentioning this on the form. Otherwise, people will wonder why their drives don't show up. And for the people who insist on doing the wrong thing, they can still create an array from the command line.
      omv 4.1.19 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • votdev wrote:

I think the best will be that devices connected via USB are not displayed in the RAID creation dialog anymore. This is very easy to implement.
      This would handle the entire issue completely since, if the problem is distilled down to the actual cause, it's RAID+USB. This applies to X64 platforms as well.

ryecoaaron wrote:

I like this idea but we might need a note mentioning this on the form. Otherwise, people will wonder why their drives don't show up. And for the people who insist on doing the wrong thing, they can still create an array from the command line.
      And this also allows flexibility for the hobbyist/enthusiast to do as they please. However, since RAID over USB won't be "click of a mouse button" easy, the majority won't do it.

I believe it would be easier to explain why RAID over USB is no longer supported in the GUI, then it is to tell a user (after the fact) that their data is most likely gone.

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.
    • Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.

• I've improved the RAID creation dialog a little bit. Please review PR github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/pull/243.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.

• I like your original idea better; filter USB devices so they don't even show up in the create dialog. If it's not available and easy for a beginner, chances are, they won't do it. (Or even become aware that it can be done.) RAID through USB is just bad news.

But, I'm OK with going back to a create dialog warning. A threshold warning, in this case, is a very good thing.

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.