how to access / mount installation drive?

• Hi

I just installed OMV using the guide here:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

I installed onto 500GB SSD and I have a 10x pre-populated ntfs HDDs.

I'd like to setup shared folder on the SSD (OMV installation drive) for app data etc... as per the guide.

Unfortunately I can't mount select the SSD (device) to add shared folder (see photo)

Is it a bad idea to do shared folder on the system drive, it's just that it is a 500GB SSD so I only wanted to use a small amount for OMV and have the rest as an a share that doesn't sleep for frequently used files.

Thanks

• OMV will not allow you to use the system drive for shared folders.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

thank you.

can i setup omv on my 500gb drive and then buy a small ssd, then migrate the whole system drive to another drive and use that as my system drive in the future?

You can set up a share on your system drive, it's just not allowed by default (and frankly, I think that's a good thing). If you search around you'll find info on how to partition your drive and set up a share on your OS drive.

As for backing up... You'd probably have to clone the drive (clonezilla) and then move the image to the new drive. I've never done it because frankly OMV (for me) is pretty easy to set up and it's more hassle than it's worth

• how should i go about shifting all my data from NTFS to EXT4?

currently i've SSH'd into OMV and just using the mv command to move files from one srv/volume (ntfs) to another srv/volume (ext4)

Then when the NTFS volume is empty i plan to delete and reformat it, then repeat the process over all 10x HDD.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you know you're moving everything, and depending on the file structure.. rsync would be my choice. (I use it quite a bit)

Mine is pretty simple..

All my folders, files, etc. Are under one folder... (/sharedfolders/Disk_1). That would be my source folder, in this case the ntfs drive. If you have a bunch of files, folders, etc it might make this less efficient, as I'm not sure how to share root directory from the webui, but should be easy enough from command line with some Google foo. Set your destination folder as /sharedfolder/Disk_2, which is the newly formatted ext4 drive.. and let the job run till complete. When done verify it's right.. then format the ntfs drive.

• You could still use your system HDD as a shared folder but you need to use GPART on it and resize the main partition to a reasonable 10-20 GB and the rest make a new partition that way you can add shared folders to the system HDD. (How to partition and use OMV system disk for user data)

Now my advice especially if you want to use PLEX is: have a small 32 - 64 GB SSD for your system disk and the rest HDD for storage.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!