Bare metal OMV 4 install issue on Ryzen 3 - screen garbled

• I have installed successfully before on a VM so I finally decided bare metal server was a go.

The openmediavault boot menu looks fine, no issues, I select install and then I get this garbled screen. I've tried both DVI and VGA outputs.
    I tried to blindly enter my way through the garbled screens using the installation guide screenshots but eventually I got a very red looking garbled screen so I guess the install completely failed.

Any ideas?
    It's a Ryzen 3, motherboard is asrock ab350 pro4, and only the SSD is connected. Using iso on a usb downloaded today version 4.1.3 amd64

• Offizieller Beitrag

The kernel in the OMV version you install may not support the APU. It is common that kernels in Linux lag behind new hardware a few months.

Try to install using SSH as if your computer is headless. Then update at once and reboot. I don't know if an update will update the kernel, but it might be worth a try. Eventually it will. If this was the issue.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• I tried to edit the boot menu, it had vga=788 so I entered a random number and enter key. It then said unknown mode but listed all the modes, I picked 322 as it looked really basic resolution and now I can see the install screens. yay.

• Hi.
    I have exactly the same problem. How can i edit the boot menu?

Thanks

Hi OOmatrixOO.

I had the same problem and Andrews solution solved it for me here.

To get to the boot menu. Press TAB when the OMV install screen shows up and alter the above as stated.

I hope that helps if you're still struggling.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!