Thunderbolt Networking supported by OS, but thunderbolt0 is not available in the GUI

• Hi,
    i try to get up my thunderbolt networking on my Asrock Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac based NAS.
    It supports thunderbolt networking up to 20Gbit/s.

Happy to say, the thunderbolt-net module is now part of the openmediavault installation.
    my zBook. supports the thunderbolt, too - just had to disable all security to be able to use it...
    i use openSuse Tumblewedd on the zBook and a 0.5m 40Gbit thunderbolt cable.
    now i am able to ping using manual network configuration on the OVM side.

but the thunderbolt0 NIC is not available the OMV GUI... ?

The configuration on the OMV NAS:
    After i added a file "/etc/modules-load.d/thunderboltNetworking.conf" containing the word "thunderbolt-net" and a reboot, the module was loaded automatically.

"ip addr show" does list the thunderbolt NIC (but i had to wait some minutes after loading the thunderbolt-net module):

2: enp0s31f6: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 70:85:c2:38:81:49 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.xxxx.xxx.xxx/xx brd 192.xxx.xxx.xxx scope global enp0s31f6
    valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    3: thunderbolt0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 02:11:23:de:1d:d3 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    4: wlp3s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether c8:21:58:29:d7:d6 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    5: docker0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN group default
    link/ether 02:42:47:5b:8e:43 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 172.17.0.1/16 brd 172.17.255.255 scope global docker0
    valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

but however, the OMV GUI does not lists it to be added as network interface. ?(
    when i try to add a ethernet interface, the drop-down box for interfaces is empty.

so do you have suggestions where to look/which tool/command line to run to get the info
    e.g. to know why thunderbolt0 may be from a different kind - and therefore not be available in the gui?

i like to find the reason to be able to fix it or help to fix it, using thunderbolt would be great, as it is
    already onboard and it would support Mac books out f the box with much more than 1 Gbit ...

Best regards,
    Bernd

• ok. looks better - i can now add and configure the device thunderbolt0
    --

Summary: Good News - after a reboot it works flawlessly. - ip addr flush dev thunderbolt0 isn't needed.
    --
    just to know: I applied the change from github manually.

Was went wrong:
    Applying the change first time failed. - my be some issues from manual configuration.
    -- Unit networking.service has begun starting up.
    Dec 20 18:25:26 blacky ifup[4803]: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
    Dec 20 18:25:26 blacky ifup[4803]: ifup: failed to bring up thunderbolt0
    Dec 20 18:25:26 blacky systemd[1]: networking.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Dec 20 18:25:26 blacky systemd[1]: Failed to start Raise network interfaces.

i found a slolution for this here:
    https://raspberrypi.stackexcha…-exists-when-running-ifup

Dec 20 18:25:26 blacky systemd[1]: networking.service: Unit entered failed state.

Dec 20 18:25:26 blacky systemd[1]: networking.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    root@blacky:/etc/network# ip addr flush dev thunderbolt0
    root@blacky:/etc/network# ifup thunderbolt0
    root@blacky:/etc/network# systemctl restart networking
    root@blacky:/etc/network#

i will test it the next days - will your change be available by the updates?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!