Is the following idea worth setting up?

• Hi all,

I used OMV a couple of years ago before I migrated to UnityVSA. Even if UnityVSA is good solution I have some issues with it. So I tried to migrate to OSNexus QuantaStor (scale-out storage with GlusterFS) but there are some other issues. So I'm thinking about coming back to OMV because of the good experience I made in the past.

Now I want to know, if the following idea would be worth setting up:

• I have three DELL servers running (2x PowerEdge T20 an 1x Precision T1650, all Intel Xeon E3 QC based with 32 GB RAM). All are running VMware ESXi 6.7 (free hypervisor) and have 2x 2 TB SATA HDD for data installed.
    • I want to setup a VM with OMV on each server and giving the 2 SATA HDDs as virtual disks to OMV as software RAID 1.
    • On each OMV there is different data saved: On the first one there is personal and public data, on the second one there are system backups and media data and on the third one there are install repositories and IP camera captures saved.
    • Each OMV will have remote mounts to the other two OMVs.
    • Each OMV is running with mergerFS to have a single virtual file system.
    • In the night there are running backups to an external Windows based system like it is done at the moment.
    • As an option I'm thinking about syncing the data from one OMV to a second one, i. e. with SyncThing. But I don't know if this makes really sense.

The idea behind this setup is to simulate something similar to a scale-out storage with OMV. I know that there's no erasure coding or something like that but I have spreaded the amount of data on different systems and have access to all files via a single point or even three points with setting up a load balancer on my Sophos UTM firewall. Do you think this is a good idea?

Which type of file system would be good? I'm thinking about XFS. Is OMV supporting XFS?

Your ideas are very welcome.

Thank You

TheExpert

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a very different setup, but somewhat similar topology... Note that OMV is a full Linux system. You are not limited to the functionality of OMV but can use the full functionality of Linux. OMV provides some of this functionality, but not all.

I have a bunch of small SBC servers running OMV. Odroid HC2s. Two SBCs are used for media storage and backups of my laptop and my PC, nas1 and nas2. They each have a shared folder on a 12TB HDD. Two other SBCs are used for are used for backups, nas3 and nas4. They each have a shared folder on a 8TB HDD.

The shares are all configured and managed in OMV. I use NFS4 and EXT4. And SMB for Android clients.

I use autofs in Linux to automatically have each server mount the other servers over NFS4.

I use cron, configured outside OMV, to run daily backup scripts on nas3 and nas4 to create versioned rsync "snapshots" of important folders on nas1 and nas2. I typically keep one snapshot per day for a week, one snapshot per week for two months and one snapshot per month for a year. 7-8-12. My backup scripts work very similar to rsnapshot, but are just small bash-scripts, with different settings for snapshots of different folders.

By using autofs I can allow the HDDs on the SBCs to spin down when they are not used. Saves power and makes the SBCs run cool. When it is time for backups or other access the HDDs automatically spin up and autofs mounts the shares again, as needed.

Note that autofs is a bit old. There are new methods using x-systemd.automount that may be better. And x-systemd.automount might be possible to implement from inside OMV. Perhaps. I use autofs instead because I have been using it for a long time and know how to make it work, and it is configured completely out of sight from OMV.

This is a very simple and basic setup, but it works fine.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Thank you, Adoby. This sounds very interesting. But I don't want to work too much on the Linux shell of the OMVs. Do you use mergerFS for getting one virtual file system?

My backup control instance is located on a separate running Windows 10 VM on one of my servers. And because of having always running HDDs I don't need to spindle down them. But the remote mount has to be re-established if the remote OMV will be restarted, i. e. for patching the ESXi host. Will the remote mount plug-in of OMV handle this?

Are there any other ideas regarding my solution?

• Which type of file system would be good? I'm thinking about XFS. Is OMV supporting XFS?

Yes it's supported , but I recommend ext4 actually ( or ZFS or BTRFS)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!