Help Needed

• Ok - I am running into a specific problem but since I need to go to the forums I thought I would post my whole story and see if I'm headed in the right direction.

I have recently picked up a free NAS from a neighbor but it came with no disks (including the original OS disk).

The NAS unit is an Acer Aspire easyStore H340
    - OS (original - now, none): MS Windows Home Server
    - Processor: Intel Atom Processor 230
    - Memory: 2GB DDR2
    - 4 Drive Bays
    - 1 Ethernet port, 1 e SATA port, 5 USB ports (not sure if 2.0 or 3.0 - 2 of them look different somehow but I don't see any blue color)

So, I've built plenty of computers but I have zero experience with NAS and my initial reaction is - wtf, how do you install an OS on something with no monitor?

I've got 4 drives of various sizes and one I want to put the OS on but I don't want the whole 1TB drive dedicated to the OS.

This lead me away from FreeNAS and toward installing OMV over debian.

So, I've been trying to install a minimal debian net installation image (no graphical interface) on my home computer to the 1TB drive.

I've got that done but I'm running into trouble putting OMV on top of that. I also am worried that I can't just pull the drive out of my home computer and put it in the NAS without no issues.

AM I DOING THIS RIGHT?

So, on to my troubles with the OMV installation on top of debian....

Using this guide: https://openmediavault.readthe…stallation/on_debian.html

I get a "permission denied" message when I type the below into the command line.

Code
    cat <<EOF >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main
    EOF

I've tried google but couldn't find much on this. This is an easy to get to guide so it must be widely used - I can't imagine I'm the only person running into this message. I'm sure I'm doing something dumb but I have no idea what.

Help! (and thank you to those that read this.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry - multiple posts were created because I was running into an error "ac3758fa144b5a1792006d01e32cb36954e162bb" and didn't know the posts were getting created anyway.

See problem #4 here - Solutions to common problems

I've got that done but I'm running into trouble putting OMV on top of that. I also am worried that I can't just pull the drive out of my home computer and put it in the NAS without no issues.

AM I DOING THIS RIGHT?

You can do that but it is possible the network configuration won't work.

how do you install an OS on something with no monitor?

Some systems can be setup to output the screen text to serial port or others have remote consoles or you could follow this to add video - https://www.happybison.com/rev…-aspire-easystore-h340-6/

I get a "permission denied" message when I type the below into the command line.

Are you running as root?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you - marking as resolved.

I was not running as root - learned how to do that! :)

I finished the install and moved the drive to the NAS but can't see it on the network. I think I've got much learning to do over the holidays.

Thanks again!

Edit: Looking at the Happy Bison article now - Thanks again!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

can't see it on the network

How are you looking? It will probably get a different IP address since the network adapter has a different MAC address.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• We had company over yesterday evening so I have not had a chance to sit back down with it. I will get back to it this afternoon and let you know how it goes. :)

Edit: OH, OK - Just finished the HappyBison article. That at least answers my question of how to install an OS with no monitor - you don't. Beyond that, this is going to be fun...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Installing OMV on one machine, and transferring to another (an HP-EX470), can be done. I've done it. Assuming all goes well, after the box boots, it means looking at your router (or DHCP server) to see what IP address it pulled.

But I'll admit that it's one heck of a lot easier with a monitor and keyboard, especially if you need to look at BIOS settings. The keyboard is easy - use a USB keyboard. It's the monitor that's the issue. To get an idea of what you need, take a look at this -> article. However, you don't need something as elaborate as the module they use in the article, just a monitor connection.

Here's a link to the pin-out I used. Thread
    Here's another novel approach, using bread board jumpers, that can be bought. -> Link (No CN9 connector required, just hot glue.)

If you're not comfortable with splicing a VGA cable, soldering, etc., this might do the -> trick.

I used a USB thumb drive to boot. In my case (an EX470) it was necessary to change BIOS, to allow USB booting, and a specific USB connector had to be used. (On the bottom in the back, as I recall.)

You might have to do a bit of research, but I imagine there's more than one "how-to" out there for installing another OS on the H340. In a similar setup, I'm still using an Acer RC111, with OMV4, as a backup server. If you get it to work, you'll probably be happy with it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!