Toshiba n300 8TB Partion help ?

• I have tried the following on a brand new Toshiba N300 8TB Disk that sits in my Odroid Hc2 running OMV 4:

parted /dev/sda
    mklabel gpt
    mkpart primary ext4 0% 100%
    quit

mkfs.ext4 -L (partion name) /dev/sda1

When I mount partition in the Openmediavault interface after this, the disk says a click sound constantly. and i get the following fdisk error:

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sda1 65535 15628000379 15627934845 7.3T Linux filesystem

Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Is the disk broken or do I do something completely wrong? (It is completely new)

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is usually called the "Click of Death" because it is bad for the drive to make the sound. Do you see any errors in the output of dmesg? You could run a smart test in the web interface too.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Okay but the hard drive is brand new so can't understand it says this sound? - Should I try to mount it again so it says the sounds and run a "dmesg"? - Only when I mount the disk in the interface it says it ...? I umount it to not destroy it :/

I want to return it if the disk is defective but don't know if it is a mount problem?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Okay but the hard drive is brand new so can't understand it says this sound?

I have received brand new drives that are dead on arrival.

Should I try to mount it again so it says the sounds and run a "dmesg"?

Unless you have rebooted, the output of dmesg should still have the errors in it.

The smart test can be run without mounting the drive.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is a short smart test enough to determine if there are problems with the disk?

I would think so. Your dmesg output doesn't show any errors. So, that it is good sign.

• I moved the disk to a Usb 3.0 enclouser from my Odroid hc2 and ran Seatools from my laptop on the hard drive where I was running:

Short generic test
    Short drive self test

There were no errors on some of the tests .. - But when I put it back in Ordoid Hc2 - OMV4 and mount it says clicks sound ..?! : /

• Offizieller Beitrag

But when I put it back in Ordoid Hc2 - OMV4 and mount it says clicks sound ..?! : /

It isn't caused by OMV. Maybe someone with an HC2 can help or possibly ask on the odroid forum?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!