Virtualbox vbox password

• OMV 4.x
    • Resolved

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Virtualbox vbox password

Hi!

Because I have problem with vnc connection (I have blank screen) I try several tips without success, I change password for vbox user and now I can't start virtualbox anymore.
      I do not know what is default password for vbox
      I try to delete user and reinstall virtualbox, but after that installation failed because vbox user not found. After I create user vbox, installation finished fine, but I get error

Source Code

1. Error logging in to vboxwebsrv.

Thanks
    • user: admin

password: (the same password you use to login to OMV)

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.
    • OMV runs phpvirtualbox, in plugin.

If you've direct installed virtualbox onto the Debian OS using a .deb package, here's the forum link for virtualbox on linux.

• I have installed virtualbox as plugin in OMV
      I think to run virtualbox I need user 'vbox' in OMV
      Because I have issue with vnc I read somewhere in forum to change pass of user 'vbox', after I changed I cant view my VMs and I dont have login to phpvirtualbox. I try to delete and recreate vbox user without success
      I try to install and reinstall plugin, no luck.
      thanks for help
      Images
      • Screenshot 2018-12-26 22.18.47.png

103.07 kB, 1,676×786, viewed 73 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by ssoltic ().

• The username and password are the same as when you login to OMV's Web GUI.

admin and your password.

Did you try that?

• I'd try removing the plugin.

Reboot, and reinstall it.

• ssoltic wrote:

I think, problem is because I changed password for the vbox user
      I just confirmed that VB does, in fact, install a user, "vbox".
      I'm not going to ask why you changed the password. :)

Give this a try.

1. Remove the VB plugin.
      2. Delete the vbox user.
      (as root)
      deluser vbox

3. confirm that the vbox user is gone.
      cat /etc/passwdIn my install, the vbox user is the very last in the list.

**I'm guessing that the group "vboxusers" is OK - no password is involved.**

4. reboot

5. reinstall VB

• I'm not going to ask why you changed the password.
      Because I have issue with vnc I read somewhere in forum to change pass of user 'vbox'

Give this a try.

1. Remove the VB plugin.
      2. Delete the vbox user.
      (as root)
      deluser vbox

3. confirm that the vbox user is gone.cat /etc/passwdIn my install, the vbox user is the very last in the list.

**I'm guessing that the group "vboxusers" is OK - no password is involved.**

4. reboot

5. reinstall VB
      I try, no success.
      I uninstall VB plugin, delete vbox user, reboot OMV, installation of VB plugin failed with following

Source Code

1. 0%...10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%...100%
      2. Successfully installed "Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack".
      3. Setting up openmediavault-virtualbox (4.1.1) ...
      4. id: ‘vbox’: no such user
      5. usermod: user 'vbox' does not exist
      6. dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-virtualbox (--configure):
      7. subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 6
      8. Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u3) ...
      9. Processing triggers for php7.0-fpm (7.0.33-0+deb9u1) ...
      10. Processing triggers for systemd (232-25+deb9u6) ...
      11. Processing triggers for openmediavault (4.1.16-2) ...
      12. Restarting engine daemon ...
      13. Errors were encountered while processing:
      14. openmediavault-virtualbox
      15. >>> *************** Error ***************
      16. <<< *************************************
      17. >>> *************** Error ***************
      18. <<< *************************************
      Display All
    • I did what you did in a VM:
      The user password change and the problem that results. Then it was uninstall VB, reinstall VB; uninstall VB, reboot, delete the vbox user, reinstall VB, etc., and I have the same error you have.

Something else must be going on (maybe with php itself) but I'm out of ideas.

Do you have a backup of your OS?
      ________________________________________________________________________________

BTW: If you have a problem with VNC and connecting to VB, you could have used Windows RDP per this thread.

• Sorry about the problem.

After you're rebuilt; for connecting to VM's, Windows RDP seems to work fine.

• ssoltic wrote:

I read somewhere in forum to change pass of user 'vbox'
      Not sure what thread that was but changing the password means you need to update it in /etc/default/openmediavault-virtualbox as well. This file stores the vbox user password in plain text (yes, I know...) Deleting this file and the vbox user and removing the plugin should work. You might need to change the permissions on the shared folder you use if you use the folder again.
      omv 4.1.19 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron you are right!

I created vbox user and copied password from /etc/default/openmediavault-virtualbox file.
      I didnt need to reinstall vb plugin, everything worked fine.

I used tips from your another post
      And now everything working excellent

Thanks
    • If you're a windows user, try Windows RDP.