80MB/s in ubuntu, 300KB/s on Windows10 and Android (both Wifi)!?

• I use OMV 4 with Samba 4.5 on and odroid XU4, and for some reason the file transfer is super slow over the WLAN.
    My test results:

• always: 80-100MB/s transfer from an ubuntu box (wired, same rates for SMB and NFS)
    • always: 80-100MB/s transfer from Windows 10 (wired, LSO disabled)
    • most of the time: 200-300 KB/s transfer from an Android tablet (2.4Ghz WLAN), ES File explorer
    • most of the time: 355KB/s transfer from same Windows10 laptop as above (2.4GHz WLAN)
    • sometimes, the transfer speed for the two wireless devices spikes up to 4MB/s, but I haven't figured out when; it happens very rare.

Any options in smb.conf do not seem to make a difference, I tried everything from blank to

Code
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
    read raw = yes
    write raw = yes
    oplocks = yes
    max xmit = 65535
    dead time = 15
    getwd cache = yes

I do not expect super high speeds and really do not care about it, but the 300KB/s makes my NAS pretty much unusable with wireless devices. Anyone an idea?

• Anyone an idea?

If you live in an urban area you need to escape the overcrowded 2.4GHz band. Not your equipment dictates your wireless speeds but your neighbors. For decent performance you need 5 GHz 802.11ac and at least 2x2 MIMO (better 3x3).

In my area 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi went useless already years ago in the evening hours and on the weekends.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I got myself a 3 node 5GHz WiFi mesh. Asus Lyra. That helped up my WiFi speed a lot. I live in the countryside without any competing WiWi stations. With 2.4 GHz I used to get 2-3 MB/s. Now I get 20-30 MB/s. The mesh nodes can in good circumstances connect to each other using two 5GHz channels. So I can get up towards 60 MB/s between two nodes. I have my NAS "cluster" attached to one mesh node and my desktop PC attached to another. Line of sight with a door open. Fast enough so I don't have to bother with cabling.

However the reach for full speed through walls is not very impressive. I also have a couple of 2.4 GHz WiFi APs and a couple repeaters to cover a MUCH wider area with slower speed 2.4 GHz WiFi. Some devices, like ESP32/ESP8266 MCUs for local IoT stuff, can't handle 5GHz.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Hey guys, thanks for your answers! Even if the 2.4GHz band is crowded, I would expect a little more than just 355KB/s...

I just dug out my old ubuntu laptop and tested the speed there: 11.5 MB/s on wireless, while Windows10 and Android both stuck at around 300KB/s, so it can't be the neighbors. Also, if you google "windows file copy 355KB/s" you get a LOT of results, so I guess this 355KB/s is not a random number, but some sort of misconfiguration.

My updated speeds with my NAS (ext4 drive):

ubuntu wired (NFS): 80-100 MB/s (expected)
    ubuntu wired (SMB): 70 MB/s (expected)
    ubuntu wireless (SMB): 11 MB/s (expected)
    Win10 wired: >100 MB/s (expected, only after turning large send offload off)

Win10 wireless (SMB): 355KB/s, one out of 10 times 4 MB/s (????, the wireless card has no large send offload option)
    Android wireless (SMB): 300KB/s, one out of 10 times 4 MB/s (???)

I am really puzzled, it seems that the network is working fine, and also the wireless network is working within its capacity, only the samba server does not work well with Win10 on wireless and android. Also, this re-occuring number of exactly 355KB/s on win10 disturbs me.

• Addition: I analyzed the TCP traffic with tsharkr during a fast (wireless ubuntu laptop) and a slow (wireless windows10 laptop) transfer; the results do not tell me much, but there is clearly a difference:

Fast one:

Slow one:

• Even if the 2.4GHz band is crowded, I would expect a little more than just 355KB/s...

Why? It's 'shared medium'. You measure at the TCP layer but some magic happens below. IMO it's pointless to try to diagnose bad Wi-Fi performance when all you could get is a huge dependency on the other bandwidth consumers in the 2.4 GHz band (and 'bandwidth' is misleading since you need to look at latency as well)

• Because at the same time, I get 10-12 MB/s from all the ubuntu wireless devices I tried. Its just Windows and Android that have these problem, so I am sure that its some samba/network misconfiguration. Additionally, on windows, speed is ALWAYS EXACTLY shown as 355KB/s, which would be IMO a huge coincdence if its just a congested 2.4GHz band. Googling this 355KB/s file copying speed leads to a ton of results, but none ofnthem helped me so far.

• at the same time, I get 10-12 MB/s from all the ubuntu wireless devices I tried

I tested with 802.11n in 2.4 GHz band only once two years ago and the best I got with 2 spatial streams was below 8 MB/s at the application layer. Are you sure this is 2.4GHz here and what's your MIMO setup?

Asides this can't help since neither using Windows nor Android. Only possible advice is to test with iperf/jperf to get Samba out of the way and maybe Helios LanTest (differences to Explorer explained here).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!