I think I accidently changed the /srv/drive permission. How do I restore?

• Hello, I think I accidentally changed root drive permission while I was testing the symbolic link.
    I realized that all of my plugins are struggling with the permission as it is giving me the error.

I know I am having a permission problem because my VirtualBox and Plex can't create or read the file from this drive.

Thanks for your assistant!

• Offizieller Beitrag

There's too many details missing (like the actual change made) and there's many possibilities on the permissions that may be needed. Virtualbox, for example, has a user "vbox" and a group "vboxuser". Users like this, "system users", need access to data locations for plugins and apps to work (as you've found). If you did something like reset all permission on the root of the drive to root:root, your data is still there but it may be inaccessible to you.

This is speculation, without knowing what exactly happened:
    One way to fix this might be, remove all plugins and delete all SMB shares and shared folders that use the data drive, and start again. In the process of recreating shares (using old data) and reinstalling plugin's, user permissions and system users should be restored.

• There's too many details missing (like the actual change made) and there's many possibilities on the permissions that may be needed. Virtualbox, for example, has a user "vbox" and a group "vboxuser". Users like this, "system users", need access to data locations for plugins and apps to work (as you've found). If you did something like reset all permission on the root of the drive to root:root, your data is still there but it may be inaccessible to you.

This is speculation, without knowing what exactly happened:
    One way to fix this might be, remove all plugins and delete all SMB shares and shared folders that use the data drive, and start again. In the process of recreating shares (using old data) and reinstalling plugin's, user permissions and system users should be restored.

Thanks for your response, I omitted many details as I thought it was unnecessary and I am not 100% sure what I did wrong. I think this happended after I tried to create symbolic link for my /srv/dev-disk-by...

I changed it to 777 which solved the issue but I am wondering what /srv/dev-disk-by... permission should be.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I changed it to 777 which solved the issue but I am wondering what /srv/dev-disk-by... permission should be.

Below are the typical permissions set at the root of a data drive.

The permissions structure at the folder level are, obviously, different.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!