Installing headers after kernel update?

• Hi. I am having OpenMediaVault setup with zfs plugin. Every time there is a kernel update, I run into this annoying problem. Maybe it is just how it must be, but it would be nice if it could be looked at and if it is even possible to do.

My problem is that when I update the kernel it wants to rebuild it to be able to use zfs. But it is not able to do that because it does not have the headers to the new kernel. Would it be possible to when you update the kernel and having the zfs plugin installed, to tell it to install the new kernel update and the headers to the new kernel. I have to figured out how to do this without a reboot.

When I install the new kernel it does net install the headers for it.

I can then reboot after the kernel install but when it boots the zfs won't work because of the missing headers.

Then I simply have to install the new headers to the new kernel and then reboot again. Now the zfs works again but it have messed up the mounting point for the zfs because it was booted up without zfs working.

I then just have to remove the old mount point for the zfs and just remount for it to work again.

All of this could probably be avoided if it install the headers at the same time as the new kernel installs.

I hope that I am not the only one with this issue and please let me know if you want some more info to maybe fix this.

It is something that I can live with but if you was totally unaware of this you would probably as a "normal" user be scared of losing your data when this happens.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von henkall () aus folgendem Grund: typoes, commas and gramatics

• Offizieller Beitrag

This issue isn't common since the plugin depends on linux-headers-amd64 which is a meta package for the latest kernel headers. So, unless you are using a weird kernel, this should be working.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• This works for me as you would like to have it. I did not change anything to make it work that way.

Regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• At the moment I am running Kernel: Linux 4.18.0-0.bpo.3-amd64.

Now I have installed the "linux-headers-amd64" to see if that solves my little issue.

Thank you for mentioning that.

Keep up the good work. I think OMV is awesome. :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

• i try to install headers in order to make to work veem agent for linux but i gost this error:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you disable backports after installing a backports kernel? What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep linux-

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Did you disable backports after installing a backports kernel? What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep linux-

here is the output, i haven't disabled nor enabled backports

• got this error on jobs:

i checked and it seems that the module veeamsnap is not correctly compiled :|

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now it makes more sense. The veeam module that it is trying to compile won't build on the 4.18 kernel (probably too new). You will have to find something on a veeam forum about this or disable backports, install the standard 4.9 kernel, and remove the 4.18 kernels.

• Now it makes more sense. The veeam module that it is trying to compile won't build on the 4.18 kernel (probably too new). You will have to find something on a veeam forum about this or disable backports, install the standard 4.9 kernel, and remove the 4.18 kernels.

i found that:

https://github.com/veeam/veeamsnap

Compatibility
    This module supports Linux kernels from 2.6.32 to 4.18.

so it should work. hva you ever tried it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

so it should work. hva you ever tried it?

The readme was updated 6 days ago. Are you using git code? If not, the readme before that said it only supports kernels up to 4.14. And no, I haven't tried veeam since I have no reason to use it. fsarchiver works for what I need.

• Update to my post...

It worked. :thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!