OMV - best solution for me ?

• Hi,

I'm looking for the best solution for my storage and hope OMV is the one.
    I'm running Windows Server 2016 but I can't no more, too much issues.

So, reading a lot of comments, it seems OMV could encounter my requirements, but I need to be sure.

I've arleady 32to of data on about 12 hdd (ntfs file system) and I don't want to loose them.

Using OMV, can I keep all my NTFS HDD with perf and stability ? no issue with that ?

As other functionnnality, I only need shared folder (SMB) and all my devices accessing them (r/w), with no raid or parity.

Thx in advance for help

Chrisbati

• Offizieller Beitrag

There has been reports of users that had performance problems with NTFS drives. They couldn't saturate a GbE connection with a sustained file transfer. But this might depend on other hardware as well. Most likely you would noticeably improve performance by using EXT4 instead.

I would recommend that you reformat to EXT4 and transfer over the data. You can do that one drive at a time.

Do some testing and experimenting first. Test file transfers from NTFS and EXT4 drives. You set OMV up and then use it. Rock steady and safe! But I would advice against testing stuff out and experimenting with data you don't have backed up. OMV is NOT safe from operator errors during experiments and trying things out.

• OMV can read and write with NTFS though I don't know if performance is better if using ext4 or another typical linux filesystem.
    [edited to agree with Adoby who posted at the same time - I'd personally gradually move things across to ext4]

SMB is fine and reliable. UnionFS is useful when you have lots of drives.

If you later change your mind about parity, SnapRAID is also useful.

OMV 6 on Raspberry Pi 3/4/5, Odroid C2/HC2 and three cobbled together x64 boxes running Snapraid.

• Ok, thx, both of you, for your answers.
    So, if I move to ext4 fs and use omv(first time for me with linux), my other devices (Shield, Xbox, Windows pc,...) will still be able to access folders in OMV?
    Can i also copy file from windows directly to a folder in OMV ?

Thx in advance

Regards

Chrisbati

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!