What To Do Before Installing OMV4

• . . . Also, note that most motherboards will not start if the CPU is not detected. (Just throwing that out there.)

Also, I want to note. I have checked and checked again my APU, Mobo, and Ram. Unless I am missing something, or, misunderstanding component compatibility, everything should be compatible. ASRock AB350 Pro4, GSkill FLARE X 2400 2x8gb, and AMD A8-9600 APU.

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Yes . . . GSkill F4-2400C15D-16GFX 8GBx2 CL15-15-15-39 1.20V

Just pulled the PSU. Will swap it out quick. I previously looked in the manual for clearing CMOS. Nothing there. I will have to look on the web to learn how.

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• It is worth trying another power supply if you have one to hand. I have had quite a few power supplies not work, but work fine with a tester - plug them into the board and they don't work at all. Another thing to try is a separate video card, just to rule out a graphics issue.

HP N54L Microserver, 20Gb Intel SSD, 4Gb RAM runing OMV 4.X
    HP N54L Microserver 20Gb Intel SSD, 8Gb RAM running OMV 4.X
    and loads of other PC's and NAS... OMV by far the best....
    (P.S. I hate Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98se, 98 and 95 - I have lost hours of my life to this windows virus)

• Page 25 on the copy of the manual I was able to find:

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/AB350%20Pro4.pdf

RIGHT you are. Another goofed oversight. My apologies forum for my tunnel vision. I will try the CMOS fix now before trying a different monitor. The PSU is not the problem. Neither is the Logitech wireless USB keyboard/mouse dongle. Trying to find a jumper cap before resorting to a flat head screwdriver.

• At some point you need to try booting into the BIOS.

Getting ready to do the CMOS without a jumper cap. I thought turning on the Server is the only way to "get into the BIOS" ???? OOPS! just found the jumper cap on the CMOS itself. Wow, what a day. :thumbup::)

• Getting ready to do the CMOS without a jumper cap. I thought turning on the Server is the only way to "get into the BIOS" ???? OOPS! just found the jumper cap on the CMOS itself. Wow, what a day. :thumbup::)

You need to SLOW DOWN.

And how do you know you have a working keyboard? One way to find out would be to boot into the BIOS.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Clearing CMOS -AND- replacing battery entirely, did not work. Just googled booting to BIOS. Will now try that.

• Just googled booting to BIOS. Will now try that.

This is one thing that has never changed and you don't know how to do that?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You need to SLOW DOWN.

And how do you know you have a working keyboard? One way to find out would be to boot into the BIOS.

For me, I'm pretty slowed down. :D A little disappointed, but doing well. My keyboard and mouse are from the working VirtualBox OMV4 machine. Now I'll try booting to BIOS.

• Booting into the BIOS did no good. Still no POST beeps or anything. I'm going to sit back and relax for a few minutes, look over the Mobo for anything out of order, get a glass of water, and check for new posts on this crazy issue.

At this point I want to say one thing. A few weeks ago I submitted a small donation to OMV. Any forum that is as willing to help as this one is, is worth supporting. Next week I'm going to put in another small donation. Eventually I know that I'll get the Server up and running and can move on to learning OMV. Having a forum that chooses to help without prodding is a rare commodity.

• This is one thing that has never changed and you don't know how to do that?

I do now, thanks to your kicking my knowledge base; and the internet. ^^

• Well . . . I guess I'll move onto trying the first motherboard (post #18). If that doesn't work I'm not sure what I'll try next. Will wait and see.

• Troubleshooting 101 on hardware:
    Take motherboard out of case and place it on its cardboard box . . . RAM is one of the biggest causes of no post . . .

Thanks to MrT10001 I think I have it narrowed down. RAM. I searched the internet and MrT10001's process is known as Breadboarding. I placed the Mobo on it's box. Installed the APU, Fan, and Mobo speaker. Hooked up the PSU to 8-pin and 24-pin. Turned on the PSU and shorted the power terminals to fire it up. Ah ha, 3 longs beeps with no ram. Installed ram. Ah ha, no beeps at all. Tried single and dual sticks in every possible configuration. No beeps. THEN, pulled out the original so called [damaged Mobo] and went through the same scenario. Same results. RAM is apparently the culprit. I'll be using this process from now on to dry run any Mobo before placement in any case.

• I had a one of two sticks of RAM go bad in my ASRock box, and it would not boot or post with it in place. I was able to continue running with only one stick until the bad module was replaced. Sounds like you have two bad sticks or they are not compatible.

There is only one correct configuration with either one or two sticks or RAM, and those configurations are shown in the manual. Putting RAM into incorrect slots is pointless and just increases your chances of damaging it.

Be absolutely sure that you are using ASRock approved QVL RAM, are putting it into the correct slots(s) and that it is fully seated.

Clear the CMOS again.

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• . . . Be absolutely sure that you are using ASRock approved QVL RAM, are putting it into the correct slots(s) and that it is fully seated.

gderf - I mean this as a legitimate question and scenario . . . do you really feel it is absolutely necessary to use QVL specified ram? The reason I ask is this . . . before I purchased the board I actually called up ASRock and asked them if a few given GSkill budget ram would work on their board. They asked me which ones and I told them. They then said, "...they should be fine." Now, two things take place there - either an employee that doesn't really care OR there is validity to him confirming they should be okay. I then called GSkill and went through the same scenario. They said the same thing BUT they did iterate that their Flare X and Fortis lines were specifically made for AMD machines. All that said, I did go ahead and purchase the Flare X line but experienced disappointment anyway.

IN CONCLUSION - I wonder, since I spent 30+ years in medical manufacturing and marketing, about the tactics of rebranding in the computer world just to sway a persons thinking into buying something more expensive. The GSkill Fortis line looks exactly like the GSkill budget line and the AESIS line with exception of a stick on label. Hence, my wondering.

Any comment or further factual input?

• I purchased my ASRock board along with two sticks of Crucial RAM and other components from Amazon. The RAM was suggested by Amazon in the same listing that the board appeared in, but was not on the ASRock QVL for that board. Others had made the same purchase and wrote reviews and no problems with that combination were reported. And of the three or four types of RAM that were on the QVL at that time, none was currently available that I could find. I asked ASRock about this and they said the RAM would work, was in fact qualified, but that the QVL was not up to date. So I ordered and it all worked without any problems.

I specifically asked you if your RAM was on the QVL for your board, and you said it was. So, is it or is it not on the QVL?

I can not speak for ASRock, but using components not on their QVL might not work, and might be a valid reason for them to deny you support including denying you an RMA claiming a defective board. The only person I have ever had any contact with at ASRock is William Lee. His name is all over the internet in the ASRock support context, and I am convinced that he would never make a false statement to me. Sounds like you spoke to someone else?

If your RAM is not on the QVL, or has not been recently added to the QVL, my suggestion is to purchase one or two 8GB sticks of QVL RAM and go from there. If it works you can hopefully return the non QVL RAM. I didn't have any problems running my OMV on only one 8GB stick when one of my sticks failed, and this surprised me since I run with no SWAP. So that might be a lower cost option for you.

--

• Yes, The ram IS on the QVL list. I'm still reading the rest of your post. Will be back with any comment.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!