Create RAID sees no devices 4.1.16-2

• Hi Guys.
    I am at a loss now, I am trying to create a RAID on my OMV, I am using USB3 1TB Hard Drives, and under the Create RAID it says it cant use USB drives, as they are unreliable, now when I had it running on my raspberry PI, I had 3 1TB hard drives in RAID 5, I could add another and select GROW and it did take about a day but it added the drive. I could transfer content onto the drives and map it to my Plex Server, now using a ROC 3328 and I am getting this message. Is there a way around this please?

Thanks
    Paul.

• Is there a way around this please?

Two alternatives that might take you the same amount of time:

• learn how to create an anachronistic RAID-5 array on the command line
    • learn what a RAID-5 is for and why it's only fooling yourself doing this with unreliable hardware (SBC in general, the RPi or these other SBC with all USB ports behind an internal USB hub only slightly better)

TL;DR: RAID-5 is a concept of the past targeted at businesses allowing them to rely on 'data availability' and requiring server grade hardware to make any sense. It's useless at home and even dangerous with unreliable hardware like single board computers or with USB attached storage in general.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi Guys.
    I am at a loss now, I am trying to create a RAID on my OMV, I am using USB3 1TB Hard Drives, and under the Create RAID it says it cant use USB drives, as they are unreliable, now when I had it running on my raspberry PI, I had 3 1TB hard drives in RAID 5, I could add another and select GROW and it did take about a day but it added the drive. I could transfer content onto the drives and map it to my Plex Server, now using a ROC 3328 and I am getting this message. Is there a way around this please?

Thanks
    Paul.

Great, it works. The problem is your hardware is absolutely not made for running a RAID. The new feature in OMV will prevent you from data loss that will surely happen some day. When you're absolutely sure you want to take the risk then you have to create the RAID via CLI. After that you can manage it via UI, there are no more limitations. You can manage it as usual.

• Thanks guys, OK I am only using RAID as I want the ability to add more drives as my system grows.
    Is there a better way to do this in that case please? Ideally I would just like to have one big folder, but using multiple USB Hard Drives?
    Thanks
    Paul.

• I am only using RAID as I want the ability to add more drives as my system grows

Hmm... then you wasted a lot for redundancy you don't need in the past, right?

I personally would give btrfs a try: mkfs.btrfs -m single -d single /dev/sd* but this requires some knowledge about (the limitations) of btrfs, how to use the CLI after adding disks (btrfs balance) and ideally the will to do backup as well. The OMV images for RK3328 devices all use kernel 4.4 which is also not the best basis for btrfs so this is not a general recommendation (only mentioning it since @votdev opened a Github issue a while ago discussing a move to btrfs for OMV's data disks).

I hope others chime in and elaborate on the 'traditional' approaches (mergerfs for example)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!