Very slow Internet access when openmediavault is connected

• I have had a problem with a huge drop in internetspeed on all the devices on my lan ( pc's tablets phones on wifi ) for a couple of weeks, and after much searching and trying, i figgered out that the problem seems to come from my openmediavault-server.
    When i disconnect the ethernetcable from the openmediavaulr server, all other devices on my lan see a huge increase in downloadspeed ( responsiveniss )

When I login to the weginterface of the openmdiavault server, I see no errors , but when i look at the runnning processes, I see at top ;

java command with cpu% between 110 and 160%

which program needs the java command?

Also I can see in the graphs that the averge cpu% went up from 60 to almost 100% since a cuple of weeks.

same for load average.

When I look in syslog , I see a lot of the following;

openmediavault-jack monit[2927]: 'localhost' loadavg(5min) of 3.9 matches resource limit [loadavg(5min)>2.0]

Can anybody help me diagnose this problem?

ps I didn't make any changes to my openmediavault setup last year. 2.2.7

regards,

• OMV 2.x has long gone EOL and is no longer supported.

Are you running JDownloader by any chance?

Have you looked into what the source/destination IP addresses and ports are for this network traffic?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• OMV 2.x has long gone EOL and is no longer supported.

Are you running JDownloader by any chance?

Have you looked into what the source/destination IP addresses and ports are for this network traffic?

Had some trouble upgrading last time (long time ago ) and all seemed to run ok, so didn't upgrade anymore. ( is it still safe to upgrade from 2.2.7 whitout much problems?)

not running Jdownloader , but maybe SABnzbd or sickbeard are using java an cause the trouble?

What can I best use to see the source/destination IP addresses and ports ?

ps I'm not a IT-pro , just a linux hobbyist

• update, problem solved by comment out the "omv-extra" repo and manualy remove --purge openmediavault-couchpotato, openmediavault-plexmediaserver, openmediavault-sickbeard plugins.

now trying to find a safe way to upgrade omv to current release , before reinstalling these plugins.

• update, problem solved by comment out the "omv-extra" repo and manualy remove --purge openmediavault-couchpotato, openmediavault-plexmediaserver, openmediavault-sickbeard plugins.

now trying to find a safe way to upgrade omv to current release , before reinstalling these plugins.

How did you 'commented out' those repos?

OMV w/o connection to internet is so slow (including dockers), that its not usable.

The current release is OMV 5.5.8-1 and those plugins are deprecated so they cannot be reinstalled. Use dockers instead.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Yes, you are right: probably this is not the reason, so I will try to describe the issue.

It's preaty new setup.

Mobo with two NIC's (I think that might be a reason). Right now in bound mode, but same results if not.

I install OMV5 from scractch twice with same result: if WAN is turned-of, WebUI and also nextcloud docker WebUI starts to be very slow.

OMV shows also errors on the page and found this in openmediavault-webgui_error.log:

*2 Fast CGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Warning: Unknown: Headers already sent. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time in Unknown on line 0" while reading response header from upstream, client ...(..._ server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "POST /rpc.php http/1.1",

Interesting that I've check the router and I can see that OMV server have plenty connections opened to DNS.

• Yes: in comparison to my machine with only one NIC, this one, opens plent of DNS connection when traveling through WebUI.

Looks like DNS configuration in OMV is not right for more then one NIC.

Any ideas how to fix it?

• Found an answer:

On Network page I had configure hostname and also domain (just random name. nothing real).

So, OMV adds to hosts file only hostname, but OMV trys to resolve [hostname].[domain]

Funy that in older setup I have in hosts [hostname].[domain] entry.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!