Any Web FIle Manager with background task support?

• Hi guys, I'm new on OMV, I'm replacing my old ubuntu server setup with a lighter debian + OMV. My hardware is a NUC-like minipc with 4 USB hard drive.
    I searched everywhere, here and over, but I can't find solutions.
    I have some large files (about 15 gb per file, 100 files) in folder "a" of "Z" HDD, and I want to move to folder "b" and "c" of the "X" HDD. I won't use ssh commands because I need a user-friendly way to manually select the destination folder.
    So I got as result some web based file manager, like owncloud/nextcloud, filerun, etc., but no one can do the operation on background: when the browser tab is closed, the transfer is stopped.
    Since I want to have a light installation, I'm forcing to have no desktop enviroment, so a VNC connection is not an option. FTP / SMB protocol have the same problem.

Any idea? I'm looking for a web based file manager which supports a queued transfer while no user is logged

(Cloud functions are not required)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Personally, I would use copy commands in a screen session via ssh but you could also use midnight commander (mc) in a screen session. There is hardly any web-based file managers let alone one that does background copies. That said, the remotedesktop plugin does install desktop environment components but they are only running when you are logged in. Since an rpi2 can handle it, I'm sure your minipc could handle it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Well from my experience NO there is no web based file manager with background tasks, and if there is I did not find it, and I searched for it.

My suggestion to you is install the remote desktop plugin from omv plugins the xfce one, you can remote desktop into it and copy or move files, it will still work even if you are not connected to the machine via rdp, already did it before multiple times, the only reason I use a gui on the server.

• Thanks to both, since the remotedesktop plugin is my only chance, I'll give a try.
    Just to have a summary: when no client is connected, there's a low cpu load (or 0 %, since the environment is not running as said by the first answer), right?
    (it's the main thing I worried about, my minipc has a Celeron N3150 and I'm running 3 cpu intensive docker containers)

• Well you can always try installing a desktop client via docker, if you use docker, this one you will just keep it on when you do what you need to do (move, copy files), when you don't need it just shut it down. No resource wasted.

I use this image https://hub.docker.com/r/ratty…-ubuntu-xrdp-mate-custom/

In the Mounts and Binds just give access to the folders you need to work with like

Host path : container path

You will find this mounted folders in your root folder when you RDP into your machine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

there's a low cpu load (or 0 %, since the environment is not running as said by the first answer), right?

Yes. The copy itself will be much more intensive than the desktop environment.

since the remotedesktop plugin is my only chance

Have you looked at midnight commander? Two commands (screen then mc) would get it running and then you would have a "user-friendly way to manually select the destination folder". ctrl a then d would disconnect from screen allowing you to log out. When you log back in, screen -r would allow you to go right back to mc.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!