I mistyped and now my network WEB UI is locked up

• I was in Network in my server's WEBUI. I made a goof while setting OMV4 to a static address and now I can't resolve the problem. I entered static IP address xxx.167.xx.xxx when I should have entered xxx.168.xx.xxx. Then I pressed save. Pressing Save returned "an error has occurred". Now I can't get into to edit it nor can I even log out of the server's Web UI.

Can someone please help me resolve? Thanks.

I forgot to mention . . . I have the correct static IP address already assigned in my router. I merely goofed it up in the WEB GUI of OMV4.

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• You can check your router if an IP has been assigned to your OMV. If yes, you can ssh in an use omv-firstaid.

If not, connect a keyboard and a display to your server. Boot up, log in and use omv-firstaid from the console.

macom - thanks for replying. I have been running the OMV4 server for a few days. It was just now that I wanted to give it a static IP address. I first went to the router and converted the already present IP address to a static address. Then I went into the OMV WEB GUI and simply made a [fat finger] move with an incorrect key stroke. I do not know about omv-firstaid or what it is about. Could I ask you to spend a moment and guide me through it? I just need to get that one IP address character changed and the server will then be part of the network just fine.

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-firstaid is a tool of OMV that can be used from CLI (ssh) or terminal (keyboard and display).

You just need to log in as root to the server and type
    omv-firstaid

Then you select the first option and configure your network.

• I made a goof while setting OMV4 to a static address and now I can't resolve the problem.

The next time I would simply try to avoid this anachronistic task of 'setting static address' on the host itself.

There's nothing wrong with running your OMV server with a DHCP assigned address. It's 2019 and I really wonder why so many people are fascinated by numbers that are hard to remember since we have something called DNS since decades and something called ZeroConf also since decades. Also every good DHCP server allows to assign a static address on the server's side and this works fine since decades too.

My OMV hosts at home are called datengrab, espressobin and nanopim4, I access them via name and have not the slightest idea which IP address they got. I'm a human being and use names that are easy to remember (and are announced via ZeroConf anyway). Machines use numbers.

• omv-firstaid is a tool of OMV that can be used from CLI (ssh) or terminal (keyboard and display).

You just need to log in as root to the server and type
    omv-firstaid

Then you select the first option and configure your network.

Okay. I think I understand what you are telling me to do. I'll try now.

Wait a second . . . Do you mean for me to go to the server > plug in monitor > plug in keyboard and mouse > then log in and at the command prompt omv-firstaid ???

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wait a second . . . Do you mean for me to go to the server > plug in monitor > plug in keyboard and mouse > then log in and at the command prompt omv-firstaid ???

yes, unless you can reach your server using the hostname (as tkaiser suggests) or you can find the IP of your server in the router.

to check if you can reach ther server by hostname you need to enter //hostname in the browser (replace "hostname" by the name of your server)

• . . . There's nothing wrong with running your OMV server with a DHCP assigned address. . . .

I fully understand your point. I merely thought I was doing something right by having this (along with all other network specific devices) set up with an IP address. Now I learn from you it is not a necessity/requirement. Now I have to fumble through solving the issue and getting back up and running. Right now I'm completely locked out of the WEB GUI. Disgusting waste of time.

• yes, unless you can reach your server using the hostname (as tkaiser suggests) or you can find the IP of your server in the router.
    to check if you can reach ther server by hostname you need to enter //hostname in the browser (replace "hostname" by the name of your server)

I am currently in the router. The OMV server name is showing as well as the IP address I assigned to it. I'm not going to do anything until I fully understand from the forum what step I am to take so as to not screw things up further.

• Opportunity to learn ;)

Understood fully. I am the one who preaches carefullness around our house and am the first one to employ fat fingers.

• I have tried - and entering //xxxxxxx/ into the browser does allow me to reach the server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am currently in the router. The OMV server name is showing as well as the IP address I assigned to it. I'm not going to do anything until I fully understand from the forum what step I am to take so as to not screw things up further.

Are you able to access OMV using the IP address assigned?

If yes and if you want to follow the advice from tkaiser, you can change the network setting method to "DHCP".
    Then, if you told your router to always assign the same IP to your server the server will still have always the same IP address.

If you have not specified any IP address in your router, you can reach your server with //hostname
    or you check the IP in your router

• Is my only option now to go to the server itself and try to fix things with omv-firstaid? Is that a sure fire way to fix this minor issue?

Is there any point in trying to set the router back to a DHCP address for the server or just stay away from that can of worms? The server name and assigned static IP are all visible inside the ASUS RT-N66U Tomato Shibby equipped router.

• Are you able to access OMV using the IP address assigned?

Doing so did not allow me to get in either.

• Try adding an additional new IP address to your computer that belongs to the mistyped network. You might then be able to reach it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Are you able to enter the GUI of OMV?

I am now in the GUI. I got there by entering the IP that was showing in my router for the OMV server. I am at the NETWORK section of the GUI. It is asking me to apply the configuration. The configuration is now showing DHCP. Should I go ahead and Apply? I would imagine that doing so would require me to have to sign back in to benefit from the [now] DHCP settings. Am I correct? Should I proceed?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!