Installation - Questions

• Hi

please can you help?

I want to install from beginning to a dedicated server.

1) which debian 9.5 i need to install? LAMP (includes Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl, Webmin, OpenSSL, FTP etc) or the minimal ?

2) the server will have ssd for the system & omv and 2 x 4TB drives. What is the raid suggested config? 1) shall i do it to the server (it has raid onboard but i think its software) or keep seperate the disks for the pc/hardware and do the raid ON the OMV?

@macom one more question please; another attempt... can you please kindly help asap? or somebody please.. as 1 week is lost to setup on cloud but the speeds are extremely slow...

many thanks!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

With only 2 drives, your only real raid option is Raid1, which I wouldn't use. Just set up a couple of automatic rsync jobs and let rsync handle it. Far better in my experience.

All the other stuff, just download the OMV iso, install it (it's just Debian 9 underneath)... Update everything, then start installing the services you want. Either through the OMV webUI, Dockers, or setting them up command line style.

The choice is yours how you handle it

• Thank you so much @KM0201

with rsync what you mean to sync?? with what? I didn't get you.

i don't have the option to download the image as i will set it up on dedicated server. So i need to install debian first.. and my question again :)
    which one? LAMP (includes Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl, Webmin, OpenSSL, FTP etc) or the minimal ?

Many thanks!!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

With 2 drives, to my knowledge, your only raid option, is Raid 1 (mirror). There's a lot of threads here on the disadvantages of raid 1... So a vast majority of people here (myself included) you'll find are just using leaving the drives JBOD, and using rsync to mirror their data from one drive to the other.

You're not understanding, OMV 4 is Debian 9, there is no difference if you install Debian 9 and then install OMV 4 on top of it, or if you install OMV 4 from the OMV iso. They access the same Debian 9 repositories, will install the same software, etc. OMV is really not an operating system, it's a package on top of an operating system (Debian 9 server) that makes that operating system way easier to use.

My answer again is, whichever one you want. Whichever you're willing to sit down and take the time to learn how to install and configure (either through the OMV webui, Dockers, or via command line) is the one that will work the best.

• Offizieller Beitrag

i don't have the option to download the image as i will set it up on dedicated server. So i need to install debian first.. and my question again
    which one? LAMP (includes Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl, Webmin, OpenSSL, FTP etc) or the minimal ?

Minimal. If there is anything else needed, OMV will install it during the installation.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!