my Nas with ASRock J4205-ITX

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• my Nas with ASRock J4205-ITX

Hi folks,

I bought my first nas 9 years ago, a QNAP TS-219PII. Meanwhile I had some other QNAPs in use. Currently a TS-653 Pro and a TS-269L (backup). For a while I was an active member/supporter of the german qnapclub community. But I lost more and more confidence in QNAP. That the firmware is getting more unstable is only one reason. I flirted with FreeNAS. But for a test system the price seemed too high. Recently I found a build for a DIY OMV Nas on technikaffe.de. By chance I was able to bid for the mainboard on ebay. And here is my setup with small changes to the original:

FW: OMV V4.1.16
      MB: ASRock J4205-ITX
      RAM: 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3L-1600 1,35V (KVR16LS11/4)
      PSU: picoPSU-120 with Salcar 72W
      SSD: Transcent 32GB SSD
      HDD: Seagate Exos X X10 10TB
      CASE: Lian Li PC-Q28

My target: Replace the QNAPs with OVM Nas. But I am not in hurry. Get to know OMV step by step.

greetings

phoneo
    • tkaiser wrote:

phoneo wrote:

Are you asking about the power supply?
      Nope, just wondering why an ODROID HC1 or HC2 isn't the device of choice...
      Disclaimer: I'm an energy efficiency fetishist and have a hard time understanding why people use an overkill setup to share a single disk.
      I take it you weren't a fan of the TV show Home Improvement? :)

(If you're not familiar, the main character overdid everything and often used ridiculous amounts of power.. usually with hilarious results)
      Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• That's an interesting case and it appears that you have two extra sata ports on the Mobo.

With the hardware question already settled, I believe you'll come to appreciate choosing OMV for your NAS OS. The features and options are plentiful, especially with the Dockers available. There's something for everyone. As I researched the available options and add-on's, over time, my NAS has "evolved".

Depending on what you want to do and with a bit of time, you'll discover several features and add-on's that are not available for a QNAP. That's what makes OMV superior to commercial offerings, in my opinion. Commercial items tend to "limit" users where OMV opens up a smorgasbord of options.

Don't forget about backup.

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.
    • tkaiser wrote:

Nope, just wondering why an ODROID HC1 or HC2 isn't the device of choice...
      Ah, ok. Energy efficience is an importent criterium for me too.Otherwise I use encryption, Kodi and Docker on my main NAS. Maybe Odroid is a good choise for a backup NAS.

flmaxey wrote:

Depending on what you want to do and with a bit of time, you'll discover several features and add-on's that are not available for a QNAP.
      I´m not sure. With Docker and the QNAP Club Store (own app repo) is the range of features also great. Easy to install as well. But I am not here to advertise it.

flmaxey wrote:

Don't forget about backup.
      My motto is: No backup? - No pity! :thumbsup:

By the way: Your New User Guide will be my advisor for the next time. Thanks.