PCIe sata adapter?

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• PCIe sata adapter?

Hi everyone,
      oe my friend gifted me 4 WD 2TB enterprise. Since my motherboard only has 6 Sata ports I need to add a PCIe card.
      I looked on some sites and this are the one that I can buy:

Can you suggest me which one is the best for linux? I was thinking about Syba/startech since I know marvell as a good chipset producer.
      Are them all compatible with linux?
      Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - Syba SI-PEX40064 Marvell 88SE9125 - 8GB ram - Corsair VS350W - 2X6TB Seagate Ironwolf - 4x2TB WD Enterprise
      OMV 4.1.17 - Kernel 4.18 backport 3 - omvextrasorg 4.1.2
    • Hi,

you can check that list wiki.unraid.net/Hardware_Compatibility#PCI_SATA_Controllers it is a good start

Using debian, i have the kalea asm1060 but for whatever reason, i was never able to have 4 lines working. Just 2. I think about a motherboard bios problem ...

Anyway, check your distro website
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      French, so forgive my english
      Personal Rig: valid.x86.fr/v72uek as a test bench with Oracle VM.
      And YES, my avatar is real, i am flying "parapentes" in St Hilaire du Touvet and at la coupe icare.
    • stratege1401 wrote:

asm1060 but for whatever reason, i was never able to have 4 lines working. Just 2
      The ASM106x chips only support 2 SATA ports so on those cards with 2 + 2 ports it's either/or (usually there are jumpers to configure internal SATA or the external eSATA port).

@Blabla: don't look at brands but at chipsets only. If you do some research your only options from the list are ASM1061 and Marvell 9125. Both share the same limitations (only one PCIe lane used) and performance / driver support. With more than 2 drives attached to the 9125 the single PCIe lane can become already a bottleneck. The VIA chipset is old and does not support PCIe and the 9128 contains RAID functionality which is something you want to avoid.
    • Thanks a lot to both of you! I only need 1sata port :) So I only needed to know which chipset were supported (didn't know about the wiki, I'll check it now).
      One final thing: since my PSU doesn't have 7 sata output, are things like that safe?
      amazon.it/StarTech-com-Adattat…keywords=sdoppiatore+sata
      amazon.it/StarTech-com-Adattat…s=sdoppiatore%2Bsata&th=1
      Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - Syba SI-PEX40064 Marvell 88SE9125 - 8GB ram - Corsair VS350W - 2X6TB Seagate Ironwolf - 4x2TB WD Enterprise
    • In case there are free Molex (PATA) connectors I would prefer something like this instead: amazon.it/StarTech-com-Adattat…f_=bl_dp_s_web_1711244031

But you need to take care about how much amperage 12V and 5V rails do provide. Especially on the 12V rail without staggered spinup problems can occur once you add another HDD to the mix... (usual 3.5" HDD draw as much as 2A on the 12V for a short period of time).
    • I'm going for the Syba SI-PEX40064 Marvell 88SE9125 :)

In case there are free Molex (PATA) connectors I would prefer something like this instead: amazon.it/StarTech-com-Adattat…f_=bl_dp_s_web_1711244031

But you need to take care about how much amperage 12V and 5V rails do
      provide. Especially on the 12V rail without staggered spinup problems
      can occur once you add another HDD to the mix... (usual 3.5" HDD draw as
      much as 2A on the 12V for a short period of time).
      Why should the PATA connector be better?
      For the Ampere: I was thinking about changing my psu with the be quiet pure power 11, so it won't be a problem

The post was edited 1 time, last by Blabla ().

• Blabla wrote:

Why should the PATA connector be better?

No other reason that assuming that the PSU has a couple of those connectors free so you do not end up with 2 or more HDD behind one connector (I got a bit careful over the years once I understood that an awful lot of 'harddisk troubles' are related to undervoltage... every adapter and cable adds resistance and as such has the potential for additional voltage drops)