[solved] OMV 4 hangs randomly with high load > 100

• I found the issue. As @tkaiser pointed out, md raids aren't the best. My raid configuration was the bottleneck resulting in high I/O whenever I turned my TV on or my smart home pushed multiple sensor data.

I switched to an additional SSD for all the docker stuff, so this is separated from my data. Data is now on one 6 TB disk, formated with EXT4. For the second disk I was thinking of using the rsync method to have the data duplicated on both disks.

Any hints / ideas on how to implement the rsync method? Is this a good approach?

@m4dm4x Hope you've fixed your issues, too.

• thinking of using the rsync method to have the data duplicated on both disks

I would have a look at rsnapshot since what separates dumb cloning from some sort of a backup is versioning. Keeping old versions so bad stuff that happened at the source (deletion or corruption) doesn't spread to the destination (or at least you have the old versions still there to recover from accidents)

• Looks like a good solution. I am wondering if this is the way to go for remote backups (cloud) as well? Hardlinking isn't supported in most of the cloud drives, therefore it will add up space quite much, I guess?

Currently I am using restic to send over my rsync backup to the cloud. Rsync backup runs once a week from my main system to the backup system and is transfered from there to the cloud.

• Duplicati performs de-duplication. It is available as plugin and docker. You can also install from CLI.

I used duplicati before switching to restic. I find duplicati to be very unstable using large amounts of data. Maybe the backend I used was unstable.. Also I like the snapshot feature restics uses: It splits the encrypted file in smaller chunks and checks each chunk against the already uploaded version, so when I only have minor changes in large files, it will not upload the whole file. Duplicate (or duplicity) will upload the whole file when only a few KB changed. This safes a lot of bandwidth but more important traffic on b2 =)

I will stick to restic for now, but will check if it supports hardlinking, so I can backup via rsnapshot and not rsync, as I prefer my local backup to be done by rnapshot now (really like it..) :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!