Question about Snapid - how many drives at minimum? Does it make sense compared to single drives?

• Question about Snapid - how many drives at minimum? Does it make sense compared to single drives?

Hi,
      since some weeks I am setting up my OMV and I start to love it.

First I had it setup as Raid 1 - see here:
      Changing Raid1 to 2 single disks

Now I have it with 2 single drives and I am thinking how to proceed.

a) Setup RSync or similar to protect my data
      b) Setup a Snapraid to protect my data

I am planning to do a USB Backup on a large external USB drive from time to time as a backup. I know, RAID is not a backup ;)

My use case:
      I want to use it as a file server for my pictures (a little more than 1 TB) for my music (played via Volumio on a RasPi) and as a place to write backups from some Windows PCs.

What I like about Snapraid is the fact that I can just put in some more discs if space is getting tight and all shares are stay the same. This is not this simple in a single disc solution - I would reorganize all my shares and backup routines...right?

I am reading for some hours now and I learned that I have to have the largest disk as a parity disc. But what is the minimal HDD number I need for a setup with Snapraid to protect a single failure?

To make it short, here are my questions:

- for my use case, is it worth the effort?
      - is it a good idea to use ext4 as filesystem?
      - can I start with just 2 HDDs or do I need 3?
      - What is the difference between data and content drives?

- Where do I find a list about usable space if I use 3 * 3TB discs for example?

Thanks for your advice/thoughts about it - or some links to get more information I am missing...and sorry for my English - not a native speaker...

Best.

Fabian
      MoBo: Fujitsu D3417-B
      CPU: Intel Celeron G3900
      RAM: Samsung DDR4 - 8 GB ECC
      Case: Fractal Design Node 80
      HDD: SSD 64GB (System), 2*3TB (Data)
      OMV 4
    • Well, considering Snapraid requires a parity drive, I would think the minimum is 3 drives... but I don't use it so I'm not sure.

That said.. 2 drives.. I'd use rsync and forget about it. Get a 3rd drive, pop it in an enclosure and have an external backup as well that you can either keep in the safe, or keep it off site.. Scheduling them is a little complicated (and frankly, a little odd, IMO).. but once you get the hang of it, it's easy... Or, just leave it off and log in and do it yourself a couple times a day and do it manually

I leave the delete trigger off, then once a month or so when I'm sure I've not accidentally deleted something, I log in and enable the delete trigger then manually run the job. That brings the two drives completely in sync, and also gives a modicum of security against accidental file deletion, etc. If I do accidentally delete something.. I just ssh my NAS and cd to the "mirror" drive, find the file i accidentally deleted and move it back to the "source" drive.

It's extremely simple and far superior to Raid 1, not really sure on Snapraid as I've never used it.
      Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• Alternative to rsync would be rsnapshot. There is a plugin for it.
      Advantage: as the name indicates it will create snapshots. So you have the possibility to go back in time and restore previous versions of a file.
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • Any more answers concerning snapraid?
      Would like something about this:
      - Where do I find a list about usable space if I use 3 * 3TB discs for example?
      - is it a good idea to use ext4 as filesystem together with unionfs?

And one new:
      - Will Snapraid speed up things like a raid?

Thanks.
      Fabian
      MoBo: Fujitsu D3417-B
      CPU: Intel Celeron G3900
      RAM: Samsung DDR4 - 8 GB ECC
      Case: Fractal Design Node 80
      HDD: SSD 64GB (System), 2*3TB (Data)
      OMV 4
    • Users Online 1

1 Guest