hp n40l replacement

• Hi

currently have a hp n40l it meets my needs in what its doing and is set up with an os drive and 5x 3tb drives in a raid 5. currently been having some issues not sure if its the microserver, os ssd or something else completely but its been making me think about pricing something up as a replacement.

my issue is when i got this server i did the bios mod to allow the rear esata and internal sata to be used hence the 5 drives (4 in bays 1 on the internal sata port) as well as the os drive (esata to sata cable port), anything i get to replace would need to be able to take the os drive and 5 data drives minimum.

i've asked friends what there thinking of doing but all of them appear to be going synology for some reason, i don't think that is the right way to go personally.

can anyone recommend some alternatives this hp is still going and has served me well i got it in 2012 when they where on offer. hope this hasnt been to much of a noobish question, im not affraid to build a system if needed that is nothing new to me linux is my weak point but id like to think im capable of doing basics.

thanks chclark

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Build. I always recommend building for really the exact situation you're in. With the "off the shelf" NAS boxes, you're pretty much locked into their hardware, and at the age yours is, if something goes, you're going to have to buy new. A build.. It's simple to replace/upgrade parts.

Sounds like you need a motherboard with 6 sata ports. There's plenty of them pure and simple.

The rest is easy and is only limited by your wallet.

If you price out an appropriate build on whatever electronics site you use (Newegg, TigerDirect, Amazon, etc.). You'll probably find that you can build a competitive system vs the price of an off the shelf unit.

You already have storage drives, but it sounds like you think you may need a new SSD.. so factor that in. Assuming your RAID is some linux file system (ext3, ext4, etc).. After you install OMV to your new SSD, you should just be able to move the drives to the new mother board, boot it, mount the raid, and start adding shares.

• yea assumed I'd have to go the build route but any time I've looked at this it's got pricey. 6 data is minimum really I'd like to be able to extend to 8 storage drives but also liked the idea of mirroring the os drive, new SSD won't cost much 120gb ssds are less then £20 in the UK now it's crazy.

Main problem is finding a case which isn't a monstrosity as at the moment the microserver sits in a shelfing unit in the living room, can house all the drives etc.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Offizieller Beitrag

yea assumed I'd have to go the build route but any time I've looked at this it's got pricey. 6 data is minimum really I'd like to be able to extend to 8 storage drives but also liked the idea of mirroring the os drive, new SSD won't cost much 120gb ssds are less then £20 in the UK now it's crazy.
    Main problem is finding a case which isn't a monstrosity as at the moment the microserver sits in a shelfing unit in the living room, can house all the drives etc.

https://www.newegg.com/Product…aspx?item=N82E16811352047

https://www.amazon.com/SilverS…uter-DS380B/dp/B00IAELTAI

You could add a sata card if necessary.

I've personally never saw an off the shelf NAS that has 8 bays... so you have to compare apples to apples.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you feel comfortable with flashing a SAS card, take a look at this -> thread.

I got a Dell perc H200 (SATA3 - 6GBP, 8 ports) for $26.00 delivered, and 2 each 4 port breakout cables for another $13. (I had to wait a few weeks for the card to arrive.) Adding in a few more ports, native to whatever mobo is used, and you'd have more than enough SATA ports for anything you might want to do (at home).

On other other hand, if power efficiency is a high priority, these server grade sas cards may not be what you're looking for.

• If you feel comfortable with flashing a SAS card, take a look at this -> thread.

I got a Dell perc H200 (SATA3 - 6GBP, 8 ports) for $26.00 delivered, and 2 each 4 port breakout cables for another $13. (I had to wait a few weeks for the card to arrive.) Adding in a few more ports, native to whatever mobo is used, and you'd have more than enough SATA ports for anything you might want to do (at home).

On other other hand, if power efficiency is a high priority, these server grade sas cards may not be what you're looking for.

sounds like a good idea if it's easy enough. I'd like to keep power as low as possible but if that limits what I can do it will increase lol.

Time to start saving I think. Would you go for one of the asrock boards with CPU built in or get a board/CPU separate.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Main problem is finding a case which isn't a monstrosity

Somewhat compact towers with 5 or 6 internal 3.5" bays exist: https://geizhals.de/?cat=gehat…36_5%7E550_3+-+Mini-Tower

You could then add one or even more 88SE9125 PCIe SATA controllers to an µATX board like the ASRock J4105M or something similar. Or use a Mini-ITX board like the ASRock J4105-ITX with 4 SATA ports (2 'native' and 2 provided by an ASM1061 controller) together with another ASM1061 or even an 88SE9125.

Performance won't be that great (but if you're fine with the N40L now you don't care anyway), you loose data integrity features (no ECC RAM any more) but you could keep a bunch of disks as RAID-5 (I always wonder how users with such a setup do backup?)

With an appropriately sized PSU consumption should be on the same level or maybe even lower than now. In case you want to use mirrored SSDs for the OS (why exactly?) just ensure that you choose different SSDs since otherwise the whole approach is 100% useless.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd like to keep power as low as possible but if that limits what I can do it will increase lol

Unfortunately, the only answer to this question is "it depends". As previously mentioned, if low power consumption is a high priority, that changes the equation considerably. @tkaiser 's approach is using a good performing SBC, as a NAS, at very low power.

Since I live in a rural area (on the edge of wilderness really), just having a power meter costs me $50 a month. So my first KWH is $50, the 2nd is $25 in the averages, and so on. If I don't spend a bit of money on actual power, I'll be paying the ($50 a month) fee for no power at all. So, in my case, I'm not that concerned about saving power. In my case, server grade hardware makes sense to me. It's very flexible, rock solid reliable, has high end performance, but it's not power efficient.

It's all about what you want to do - that should guide your approach.

While I'm guessing that the majority of OMV users don't bother with it, I would encourage you to look at something that supports ECC ram. That's a decision that must be made now, before you buy. (There are a few file system options that can be used to address bitrot, later, when you're building.)

Without looking at specific models, usually Mobo's with an integrated CPU (sometimes fanless) tend to be power efficient. The trade-off tends to be performance but, as you're well aware if you're using a N40L, a smoking hot CPU is not necessary for a good performing home NAS.

It really depends on what you want to do :
    - If you want to run VM's, Dockers, 6+ hard drives :) etc., you'll need more hardware resources, extra CPU cores (and threads) more RAM and a case that accommodates drives.
    - If a couple Dockers will do what you want with up to 4 drives, an SBC or something like what you have right now is fine.

Maybe it's something in-between.

(BTW: Booting from a USB3 drive works fine with OMV and this would save you a SATA port, but you'd need to install the Flash Memory Plugin.)

• Would have to research abit more about the controller's etc.

Currently not using ECC memory and using standard ram.

And backup isn't a vital concern as it's not critical data it's just backed up media files.

It's mainly used for Sabz Sonarr radarr and distributing the shared drives. I don't think it does anything taxing imo just several docker containers.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Think I need to start looking rapidly server had a hissy fit again tonight it's been 4 months though luckily.

Kept getting ata5.0
    failed command: READ FPDMA
    Just did a lot of booting with out storage putting storage back in eventually it came back on.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!