So I got gifted an XU4Q

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't normally expect much for Christmas.. I usually hand out a few small gifts, receive a few, and that's about it. I'm an adult and am way past the excitement of Christmas and just being with the family and someone saying "Merry Christmas" is plenty for me.

This year was a bit of a surprise. Two days after Christmas I was talking to my oldest nephew as he was asking me about SBC's, apparently he wants to get one w/ his Christmas money. He's in HS and very nerdy. We were going over some different uses for them (NAS, Retro gaming, etc.).. then I was showing him that there was more than just the Raspberry Pi out there. Showed him, among others, the XU4 and told him I was considering the CloudShell 2 kit and building a NAS out of one. Well, somehow she got wind of this and it must have piqued my sister's interest because she bought me a complete Cloud Shell 2 kit from Ameridroid. She called me today to tell me it should be here Friday, (more likely Monday the way Fed Ex runs around here) and wanted me to watch for it. She forwarded me the receipt to see if I'd need anything else... only thing she didn't get was an mSD/emmc.. but I told her everything was there as I have a couple emmc's here.

Naturally, I got this call about 45min after I completed rebuilding my NAS...lol (chassis, PSU, and hard drives.. which I needed anyway).

I think I'm still gonna use it for OMV... I might buy a couple more hard drives and build a remote backup server at my parents.

Any other ideas or stick w/ the remote server idea?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just take care about cabling with Cloudshell II -- that's this device's Achilles heel. And that you won't be able to get SMART info from the 2nd disk unless they provide a newer JMS561 firmware that fixes this.

Thanks for the insight..

I know the fan that comes with it has that little resistor to lower it's speed... I figure with 2, 3.5in hard drives and the CPU, it would probably be a bad idea to use this. Seems many of the problems are related to the USB, which I won't need

• Offizieller Beitrag

How about putting a family photo vault on it?

Allow family and relatives to upload and download family photos. Could be useful for your sister and be fun for your parents if they can view the photos on their TV. And you may even involve your nephew.

I scanned some boxes of slides. Mostly pictures taken by my father on family events and gatherings. Also from relatives events that we attended. My father passed away a year ago and I was able to give away a couple of USB sticks to family and relatives on the funeral. Sort of an insurance. On the sticks were both a scaled selection suitable to display on a TV with a USB port, as well as the original raw scans. This was very appreciated. However today everyone has a fantastic camera in their phone, but I feel that we are bad at collecting and preserving these photos.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How about putting a family photo vault on it?

Allow family and relatives to upload and download family photos. Could be useful for your sister and be fun for your parents if they can view the photos on their TV. And you may even involve your nephew.

I scanned some boxes of slides. Mostly pictures taken by my father on family events and gatherings. Also from relatives events that we attended. My father passed away a year ago and I was able to give away a couple of USB sticks to family and relatives on the funeral. Sort of an insurance. On the sticks were both a scaled selection suitable to display on a TV with a USB port, as well as the original raw scans. This was very appreciated. However today everyone has a fantastic camera in their phone, but I feel that we are bad at collecting and preserving these photos.

That's an interesting idea... my brother just had a little one and lives a bit of a ways away. I could probably do that and still run it as a NAS.. but all of them are on Face-Tard (sorry, I think it's stupid).. so I'm guessing they see a gazillion pics a day anyway. My nephew already said he wanted to help me set it up. He's still debating which one he wants, but I think he'll probably end up with a Pie 3b as he wants to do some N64 gaming (unless you all have a better idea)

Seems most of the problems tk mentioned in the other thread were related to the USB, which I honestly don't plan on using. SMART might be an issue, but I'll check that out. My emmc's haven't been an issue on my rock64, so I'm assuming they'll be good in this case.

Thanks for the insight and ideas.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So what do you do then with the Cloudshell 2? Throwing it away?

Well, I have drives to use on the sata ports in the device.. do those run off the usb bus?.. (actually now that I think about it, they probably do)..

Guess we shall see.

• I have drives to use on the sata ports in the device.. do those run off the usb bus?

These drives are behind

• an internal USB3 hub (never a good idea to put USB hubs in between host and disks)
    • rather crappy USB3-A receptacles
    • a short USB3 cable
    • a JMS561 USB-to-SATA bridge with integrated RAID or PM functionality showing firmware issues

Good luck with such a setup!

IMO Hardkernel has only two good devices for the NAS use case. That's HC1 and HC2 and nothing else (the new H2 is no exception here).

• Is this problem with USB related only to the Cloudshell 2 or the on board USB 3.0 have the same problem? @tkaiser
    I have the XU4 and Cloudshell 2 and want to know if I should still try to do something with it or not......at least if the board only is still a viable option and just throwing away the Cloudshell 2 or should I throw away both ?

For now ( first setup)
    Gygabite G1 Sniper mobo
    Intel I7 960 quad core
    Asus AMD R5 230 video card
    10Gtek® Intel 82576 Chip Gigabit Ethernet Converged Network Adapter (NIC), Dual RJ45 Copper Ports, PCI Express 2.0 X 1
    12GB DDR3 @1600
    32GB SSD for OMV system
    2 x 3TB 3.5" HDD
    1 X 1TB 2.5" HDD
    Corsair case and Zetec 650W PSU

Runing latest versio ( stable )

• Offizieller Beitrag

all of them are on Face-Tard (sorry, I think it's stupid)

Funny :D

"Face-Tard" is another so-called free "service" that amazes me. People put their life history on a Web page, and complain when their privacy is breached. :rolleyes:
    If you don't put it out there, it can't be hacked...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Funny :D
    "Face-Tard" is another so-called free "service" that amazes me. People put their life history on a Web page, and complain when their privacy is breached. :rolleyes:
    If you don't put it out there, it can't be hacked...

Yep.. due to work, I'm extremely anal about personal security. I have no Facebook, Twitter,

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this problem with USB related only to the Cloudshell 2 or the on board USB 3.0 have the same problem? @tkaiser
    I have the XU4 and Cloudshell 2 and want to know if I should still try to do something with it or not......at least if the board only is still a viable option and just throwing away the Cloudshell 2 or should I throw away both ?

Damn, that bad?

I was looking on one of the links he posted earlier, and there's a link to a new firmware... so I'll probably check that first.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep.. due to work, I'm extremely anal about personal security. I have no Facebook, Twitter,

Same here and for the same reasons, but I'm continuing the same in retirement. As a side benefit, I haven't had to deal with identity theft or any of the other "took much information" crimes. I do have a facebook account with my dog's picture in it, and no info. (I used it to keep track of what my kids were doing with FB, when they were underage.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Same here and for the same reasons, but I'm continuing the same in retirement. As a side benefit, I haven't had to deal with identity theft or any of the other "took much information" crimes. I do have a facebook account with my dog's picture in it, and no info. (I used it to keep track of what my kids were doing with FB, when they were underage.)

Yep... I have a FB page (my pic is a Penguin... we should be friends..lol). It's not even my real name... No friends, etc. I generally use it to just keep track of people I've dealt with in the past, occasionally look at families pages, etc.. but I never post myself.

• Is this problem with USB related only to the Cloudshell 2 or the on board USB 3.0 have the same problem?

I already linked to Omv 4 broken odroid xu4 ?

I have no Facebook

Since this thread already went 100% off-topic... 'having no Facebook' (same with an Google account) doesn't stop these companies from tracking you: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/25629 -- a really brilliant idea is to hand over everything you're doing on the Internet to Google by using their DNS servers for example...

• I already linked to Omv 4 broken odroid xu4 ?

I will ready the entire thread again , not sure how I missed if the answer is there.

For now ( first setup)
    Gygabite G1 Sniper mobo
    Intel I7 960 quad core
    Asus AMD R5 230 video card
    10Gtek® Intel 82576 Chip Gigabit Ethernet Converged Network Adapter (NIC), Dual RJ45 Copper Ports, PCI Express 2.0 X 1
    12GB DDR3 @1600
    32GB SSD for OMV system
    2 x 3TB 3.5" HDD
    1 X 1TB 2.5" HDD
    Corsair case and Zetec 650W PSU

Runing latest versio ( stable )

• Offizieller Beitrag

a really brilliant idea is to hand over everything you're doing on the Internet to Google by using their DNS servers for example...

Why use Google, or any of the others, when you can run your own recurvise DNS server?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why use Google, or any of the others, when you can run your own recurvise DNS server?

On that note, could you explain the full path to "delete the file contents of /dockerparms/pihole"? Heimdall broke my pihole install and I cannot seem to find this file to delete it in order to start a fresh install. Where would be a good place to start a thread on this [How To] as I have several other questions? I don't want to hijack this thread.

[edit] I'm sorry. I said Heimdall broke my pihole install, when I meant to write Watchtower.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!