Weird one: Does this sound like a hardware problem : connectivity/failed authentication

• So I was running OMV 3 for at least a year, probably longer, with no issues. Pretty much an out of box install with the exception of docker running an emby instance. never a problem. We had a power outage here a few weeks back and I had to power the server back up. After about 2 or 3 days I couldnt access my emby server, checked and I couldnt access my smb shares either. Could still ping the server. Here is the odd bit. I could bring up the OMV web interface, but it would not accept my password. I tried to ssh in it wouldnt connect. I cant recall the error something rejected I think.
    It worked after a restart but every day or so it would not work again and I would restart. sometimes I couldnt even get the web interface up but if I could it would reject the password. (not after the restart when it was working, I could log in and ssh successfully until the next time it quit working) I moved my server to a place I could plug in a keyboard and monitor this is connected to a different switch, it loaded fine and worked. I left it there A day later, it wasnt, so I tried to log in locally, it wouldnt accept the correct password until I restarted it. I formatted the system drive and installed OMV 4 since ive wanted to upgrade anyway. Worked for 3 day and again I cant access it. Web interface wouldnt accept the correct password. SSH would actually let me get to where I could see a log in prompt and type root but if I put the password in, it would unexpectedly disconnect per putty. oddly putting in the wrong password on purpose didnt disconnect, it would say error wrong password.

Since this started after a power outage im wondering if this might be an issue with the NIC but it did do this once while I was connected locally (rejected the correct password). Somehow its just refusing connections and rejecting PW. On two completely different installs. Not sure how hardware would do this but ???????

I also did run memtest and checked the smart for HD and found no errors

I might buy a discrete NIC and see if any difference as they are inexpensive. I am concerned about building a new box and then getting the same issue so trying to figure out exactly what is going on.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have not read the whole post, but failing to login is often an indication for a full root filesystem. There is no space left on the device, so mostly everything does not work anymore.

Been there done that... I'd bet this is your issue.

• Shouldn't be full system drive is 500 gig after the clean install only about 5 is used. Corrupt drive maybe but I can log in after a restart and it will work awhile. An IT guy at work is convinced something is trying to log in with bad credentials locking the account and that restarting it is resetting a time out. Im going to look at that.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!