Installing OMV on EUFI (J4105) Tutorial Available?

• Hi back to her! Very Irish surname! Fortunate no troubles on our end either.

I did a re-install yesterday evening using USA for sources. Strangely enough when copy/pasting from one of the linked pages in this thread nothing worked, however copy/pasting from your previous response did work.

I'm up and running now (on version 4.1.17-1), following this tutorial first and had some errors when I updated the system for two Linux system updates

I noticed I had a lot of errors/warning after running omv-initsystem that said something like this:

Code
    Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw for module r8169

and

Code
    ception ignored in: <function WeakValueDictionary.__init__.<locals>.remove at 0x7f0c098177b8>
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py", line 117, in remove
    TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
    Exception ignored in: <function WeakValueDictionary.__init__.<locals>.remove at 0x7f0c098177b8>
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py", line 117, in remove
    TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
    Done ...

It seems to be working now though! Just to add my drives and setup folders etc!

This isn't necessarily related to the the earlier problem, I seem to get some errors when installin Docker as per the tutorial I liked above so I've disabled it for now until I need it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've never followed the video install tutorial so I can't comment on that.

I did a re-install yesterday evening using USA for sources. Strangely enough when copy/pasting from one of the linked pages in this thread nothing worked, however copy/pasting from your previous response did work.

It might have been a coincidence or something as simple as a missing letter, but it's good that it worked out.
    (For future reference, If you copy and paste a script, it's best to copy it into notepad first and copy it out from there. Notepad will reject anything extraneous, RTF or HTML formatting. I copied the scripts into Notepad first, before copying the scripts back into the post.)

/lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw for module r8169

When you do your updates, note that you'll only want to do firmware updates that apply to your hardware. Outside of firmware updates which should match your hardware, I'd take all the updates offered. (At least in the beginning.)

- If you have a Realtek NIC, look for a Realtek firmware update among the updates and install it.
    Since most NIC compatibility is compiled into the kernel and your NIC is working, that's 95% of the game. If there's any issue at all, I'm guessing that the first kernel update would correct it.
    - I'm also guessing the python error, during omv-initsystem, is not a show stopper.

If all is working well in the GUI, you're probably OK.

Docker is another issue entirely. It's kind of a blessing and a curse. The flexibility of using Dockers and the unbelievable variety of images available are it's strength. The rest, as in configuring it, can be a PITA. While I've had no issues with it, others have.

If you're not using the Docker Plugin, at this point in time, I'd remove it. In any case, it's best to install the plugin after you system is fully updated.

• It seemed to be working fine, I added both my drives, spent some time setting up Shared Folders and adding them to Samba. Copying of files from the pc to the server works from both pc's.

I removed docker after getting the persistent error, I don't need it yet! I'll be building on the base install over the next while to get a few things working (backup to external drive and cloud) that are more important to docker. Once I need it I'll look into it into more detail.

I noticed after doing all the updates it has a newer version of debian as a boot option, incidentally, thats the debian version which I had problems with at the start!

Thanks for the help in this thread, it's very much appreciate! I would have given up without there being a good forum!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I noticed after doing all the updates it has a newer version of debian as a boot option, incidentally, thats the debian version which I had problems with at the start!

You wouldn't be the first to have to "back into an installation". I've heard of a case where a user had to install an earlier version of OMV and do a command line upgrade (omv-release-upgrade) to get to a newer version. (There's so many variables involved.)

I don't think you'll be disappointed. OMV is the best thing out there, IMHO.

Don't be afraid to use new kernels, when installed. Newer Kernels tend to be more compatible with newer hardware.

• So far, so good! I have a few shared drives/folders setup. I'm just trying to figure out Duplicati with Backblaze B2, so far so good, which was important to get working. Next I'll start with the more fun stuff!

• @flmaxey

I want to say a HUGE thank you for this. I got my new machine home this morning, all excited about setting up OMV (which I'd tried out in another machine that wasn't suitable for using with a RAID setup) and thought I'd blown £200 on an unuseable piece of junk.You have saved the day. I've got a few weeks of playing with OMV ahead of me, but when things settle down, I'd like to do an illustrated version of your instructions and put them up. I've been using linux for about a decade, inexpertly, but this was on the edge of my abilities. A few pictures might hold the hand of anyone who falls victim to this snag in the future.

I am very unimpressed with Intel's policy of blocking revert to BIOS. I noted in my panicked search that Debian are working on UEFI installs, and I assume it's on the cards for OpenMediaVault.

Well done, SIr, and thank you again, and thanks to @Jozi for blazing the trail. :thumbup:

• I'm glad it was of benefit to someone! I know the feeling of splashing out on parts only to be faced with what seems to be the impossible! Thankfully there's the forums to help and mine has been running fine since I got it setup :)

Have fun!

• Offizieller Beitrag

@flmaxey

I want to say a HUGE thank you for this. I got my new machine home this morning, all excited about setting up OMV (which I'd tried out in another machine that wasn't suitable for using with a RAID setup) and thought I'd blown £200 on an unuseable piece of junk.

I'm glad it was helpful to you. (And I, too, hate the idea of buying something for a specific purpose, then finding that I have a paper weight.)

I've got a few weeks of playing with OMV ahead of me, but when things settle down, I'd like to do an illustrated version of your instructions and put them up.

Please do. And note I won't be at all bothered or worried about it, even if you use sections of this thread word-for-word. Something like that what you're suggesting in the "Guides" section, RE the scripted installs with illustrations, would be welcome and may help someone else. (Many are visually oriented because, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.)

I am very unimpressed with Intel's policy of blocking revert to BIOS.

I'd agree. What a user chooses to do with their hardware is their business. I don't like it when choices are removed, while being forced into using something else. Also, being old school, I'm not a fan of UEFI either. There's a UEFI exploit in the wild, these days, that will reinstall a virus to a hard drive, after the drive has been wiped clean. The virus installs itself in UEFI which makes for the ultimate root-kit. The only way to get rid of it is to erase UEFI and flash it again.
    I'd much rather seen an incremental approach toward improving BIOS, by eliminating some of it's restrictions. Instead the doors have been thrown open.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!