Virtual Machine error during startup

• Hi,

I'm currently trying to create a virtual machine on virtualbox on my OMV.

I have an exception when I try to launch it :

Here is the machine config :

Here are the system informations for OMV :

My current setup is OMV 4 in a virtual machine on VirtualBox on my computer, and then trying to install a Plex VM in OMV.
    I'm also wondering why even if I selected a 64 bits VM for OMV, I can't select a 64 bits for Plex, I only have the choice for 32 bits.

I've tried differents solutions that I found, like this one : Can't start virtualbox on omv3
    But I can't update the linux-headers :

Thanks for helping me

• Have you had any luck on this one?
    I'm having the exact same issue...

Also of note - the system is not generating log files so it is failing before it can even start.

Also for clarity, I'm trying to run a Linux desktop VM. Have tried several variants.

I doubt the OS being loaded in the VM is relevant, as far as I can see based on the lack of logs, the VM itself never actually initialises..

------
    Crowley:
    Xeon X5670
    22GB DDR3 RAM
    1x 16TB Exos 1x 240gb Kingston A400 SSD, 1x 480gb Kingston A400 SSD
    OMV6 on top of Proxmox 7.1

Aziraphale:
    QNAP TS-431
    2x WD 3TB, 2x WD 2TB - basically a backup server for Odin

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von rayjaymor ()

• Same problem here, if I run virtualbox from the command-line I get this:

Bash
    # VBoxManage list vms
    WARNING: The character device /dev/vboxdrv does not exist.
    	 Please install the virtualbox-dkms package and the appropriate
    	 headers, most likely linux-headers-amd64.

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
  • After a trail on error i collected these commands to solve it. Please check the result of dkms status first! this will show you the status of the installed kernel modules. This one is probably empty or showing errors

First uninstall the plugin. Then login to your openmediavault as root using ssh

Bash
    dpkg --configure -a
    dkms autoinstall
    dkms status

Now the output of dkms status shows something like virtualbox, 5.2.24, 4.19.0-0.bpo.5-amd64, x86_64: installed. Right now you are good to go an reinstall the plugin.

Hope I could help you guys out!

• I have the same issue when installed OMV4 yesterday. Problem was also because of absent /dev/vboxdrv , but not so easy to fix.
    package reconfiguration shows that ther's no headers for current kernel but the latest headers were installed. The main problem here was that kernel version does not match headers version (how it can be n fresh installation????).
    so the solution:
    #apt-cache search linux-image
    #apt-cache search linux-image

then find latest kernel and headers versions that exactly match and installing them
    (in my case it's 4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64)
    after this package reconfiguration helps
    #dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-dkms

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!