Trouble with ASM1153E on OMV 4 / kernel 4.14.34

• I have bought several Anker SATA to USB 3.0 converters. They seem to use the ASM1153E chipset.

When i attach two of the converters to an OpenSuse Tumbleweed system running kernel 4.19.11, i have no problems. Everything works as it should. Drives spin up and i can mount and use both.

But when i try to do the same on Openmediavault 4 / kernel 4.14.34, i can use only one converter and disk. As soon as i plug the second one in, the first and second disk spin up and down time after time and i can't access any drive.

In dmesg, it looks like this:

The first drive is connected and loads and registers and is usable. Then the next one gets plugged in and will not become ready and the first one is lost also.
    If both are plugged in at boot time, neither becomes ready. If i unplug any of them, the remaining becomes ready and usable.

I have read that there are known problems with ASM1153E, but i could not relate them to the behavior of my system.

What can i do to use more than one converter with openmediavault? I need to attach several sata drives via USB...

Any help please?

• Now i have done another test with putting a powered USB 2.0 hub in the line. Then both disks will load and attach fine.

My theory so far:

It seems the 12V power supply on the USB convertors will only be used for 12V and not converted to 5V in the USB convertor. So it will draw the 5V over USB from the SBC where it is attached and then the voltage might break down...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!