Server shutting down randomly ... software or hardware issue?

• the problem started on when I was on OMV 3.x, it'll just restart. Thinking maybe upgrading to OMV 4.x would solve it, hope it was a software issue. Once upgraded, with no plugins or data, it seemed to stay running. Started installing docker plugins and the issue returned. Guessing it might be hardware (maybe power supply) but no idea how to figure what's the problem. Attached is an example of the one of the shutdowns. Any help would be appreciated...thanks in ad

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it time related? (Which might, actually, be heat.) Is it a matter of hours, a matter of days? Does a restart fix it and for how long?

You might want to boot into BIOS and see what's there. Some BIOS vendors show PS voltages, CPU temperatures, etc.

Since bad ram can cause endless problems, the first thing I'd do is test with memtest86.
    You might consider letting it run, non-stop, for a day or two.
    (If ram tests out)

If you're convinced it's a software problem, boot up a live distro like Knoppix and let it run awhile.

Intermittent problems are the worst to deal with, such as a power supply that's on the edge of failing.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that can definitively isolate a problem without swapping out parts.

• pass all the test and swapped out the power and just my luck still randomly crashes. Any suggestions which part to look at now? Or is there a log I can print out that someone smarter than me can see what the issue is?... thanks in advance

• Offizieller Beitrag

How about a few answers.

Is it time related? (Which might, actually, be heat.) Is it a matter of hours, a matter of days? Does a restart fix it and for how long?

If you're convinced it's a software problem, boot up a live distro like Knoppix and let it run awhile.

What happened with the live distro?

If it's hardware, it's obvious that "something" needs to be replaced and, since memory tested clean and you replaced the PS, it's unlikely that log's would point to defective component(s) on a motherboard.
    You could look at SMART under, Storage, SMART, Devices (Tab), Information (button) on the boot drive. Reallocated sectors or red flags in general, might indicate software corruption.

In the bottom line, if you really think it's software (OMV), a forensic analysis of what went wrong or what got corrupted is not worth the time. A complete rebuild takes about 15 minutes.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!