New server installation: omv iso installer VS omv pkg on existing debian ?

• Hi,

I'm going to build a new OMV server.
    My new server has good cpu (i5 quad-core 3.20GHz) and a lot of ram (16GB), thus I'd like to run other services (Docker) and vm (KVM) on it.

From your experience, what is the best way (better stability, less conflict) to create an OMV server:
    - run installation from OMV ISO installer, and after, expand Debian system by installing other packages as KVM, Docker...
    or
    - run my own installation, from Debian ISO images and install other packages as OMV, KVM, Docker...

I saw on the page Installation on Debian from OMV Documentation, that it's indicated "please do not install a graphicalenvironment, use a minimal server installation only".

Usually NAS don't need a lot of cpu/ram, is it a real problem if I install a lightweight desktop environment as Xfce?

Is there some known conflicts between OMV and Xfce (or other desktop environments)?

Or, it's only recommanded because OMV can be installed on old equipment too, and desktop environmen could reduce performance?

Thanks,
    Chris

• Offizieller Beitrag

what is the best way (better stability, less conflict) to create an OMV server:

Both methods end up with the same result.

Usually NAS don't need a lot of cpu/ram, is it a real problem if I install a lightweight desktop environment as Xfce?

The recommendation has nothing to do with cpu/ram use. It causes other issues due to occasional package conflicts and configurations that cause problems with OMV.

Is there some known conflicts between OMV and Xfce (or other desktop environments)?

Yep, that is why the recommendation is in the wiki.

Or, it's only recommanded because OMV can be installed on old equipment too, and desktop environmen could reduce performance?

Nope. OMV is meant to be a NAS and headless.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks a lot ryecoaaron for these infos, and to take time to reply to me.

Ok, them I'll remove of my plan the desktop environment.

I saw there is an extra-plugin for VirtualBox, but I prefer use KVM (with remote access via VNC).
    Do you know if there are some conflicts with KVM?

Thanks,
    Chris

• Offizieller Beitrag

I saw there is an extra-plugin for VirtualBox, but I prefer use KVM (with remote access via VNC).
    Do you know if there are some conflicts with KVM?

Not that I have run into. Quite a few people have been using kvm with the cockpit module and it works out well - Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

You might have to configure the network for the system outside of the web interface though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just curious why you would want a Desktop? I've heard this before and I've never been able to come up w/ a reason to have a desktop on a server.

If you're just looking for folder access, there's always midnight commander, or krusader runs in docker very well.

• Hi KM0201, you're right about no interest to install a desktop environment on a server... except to reduce server performance!

In my case, equipment that I use as "server", has a good cpu/ram, too much as needed for a NAS services, thus I was considering the option to use it as "full" Media Center, combining server and client, plugged directly on TV... it's why I was looking for a graphical environment.

• In my case, equipment that I use as "server", has a good cpu/ram, too much as needed for a NAS services, thus I was considering the option to use it as "full" Media Center, combining server and client, plugged directly on TV... it's why I was looking for a graphical environment.

That's how I'm using it as well (NAS + media center connected to TV), and I have had it installed this way for about a year now, going debian installation (full environment) and then adding OMV to it. I'm not even using a lightweight DE, I'm actually using KDE and everything has always worked fine so far.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!