Raspberry Pi alternative with Usb 3

• Hi, everyone. I recently built my first openmediavault server with a raspberry pi 3b. I then found out that I'm limited to 11mb/second LAN speed because of usb 2.0 and the network hardware sharing the usb bus. I'm looking into alternatives and I'm leaning towards the Libre AML-S905X-CC (edit: I meant ROC-RK3328-CC https://www.loverpi.com/collec…puter-board-roc-rk3328-cc) because of the usb 3 and increased ram.

Is this my best choice for an ultra-low power solution? I'm running 2 8TB USB3 Western Digital external hard drives in Raid 1.

• Libre AML-S905X-CC because of the usb 3 and increased ram

Wrong choice, there's no USB3, no Gigabit Ethernet, amount of RAM is close to irrelevant for the NAS use case and the only advantage of the AML-S905X-CC over RPi is that at least one of the four USB2 receptacles is connected directly to the SoC (the other 3 are behind an USB hub). Even powering is as crappy as with the RPi since the smaller Libre Computer boards all use Micro USB to be powered (so without a special PSU with fixed cable undervoltage is guaranteed).

Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?

2 8TB USB3 Western Digital external hard drives in Raid 1

Really bad idea since RAID-1 is close to useless in general and the whole approach won't work at all with USB attached drives especially if those are behind an USB hub.

• Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I linked the wrong model. This says it has usb 3.1 and gigabit ethernet. https://www.loverpi.com/collec…puter-board-roc-rk3328-cc

What should I use instead of Raid 1? The ZFS plugin? I tested my raid 1 setup on the raspberry pi and I was able to disconnect a drive and then rebuild the raid using mdadm. The OMV web manager was not able to set up a raid with these drives, but could see the raid once I set it up with mdadm via ssh. The drives were not behind a hub.

I'm replacing a 10 year old windows home server where I use drive extender with about 6 hodgepodged hard drives. It's a 32 bit system though and 2tb max drive size is now outdated.

• It looks like I linked the wrong model. This says it has usb 3.1 and gigabit ethernet. loverpi.com/collections/renega…puter-board-roc-rk3328-cc

Yes, the Renegade (RK3328) is fine just as the Rock64 (same ARM SoC, same features).

Wrt RAID-1... why would you use it? Please think about this. Thousands of blogs and low-tech journalists will tell you RAID-1 would result in data safety but it's not. It's just availability or 'business continuity' most probably nobody needs at home.

The drives were not behind a hub.

All USB ports on a Raspberry Pi (except Zero or A/A+) are behind an internal USB hub. On the RPi 3 B+ it's even TWO USB hubs in a cascaded fashion if you attach peripherals to the 'wrong' 2 USB ports.

There are three different things to watch for: data safety, data integrity and data availability. If you love your data please take care that you focus on the first two goals and skip RAID-1 (which is just the try to provide data availability -- it can't work with USB disks anyway since the whole RAID principle will fail exactly in the moment you would need it).

• I'm still evaluating a backup strategy. Cloud backup got very annoying the last few years on my windows home server because none of the major providers had software compatible with windows home server 32 bit. I had to use another PC running windows 10 and map drive letters to my network shares to back them up. My contract recently expired with my last provider, so currently I have an external drive in a safety deposit box which I plan on swapping out every 6 months or so with a fresh backup.

As for raid, I just want something that mirrors the data to another drive. Should I just use one drive for my samba shares and run a process that watches for changes and writes to the 2nd backup drive?

• Hey, I got my renegade set up and I can transfer files at over 100 megabytes/second so pretty much my full gigabit LAN speed.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to keep 2 copies of my data locally. I'm currently running the "USB Backup" plugin, but I don't like having to press Run manually for each folder or unplug/plug in the external drive. I'm trying rsync next. It looks like I can create a backup version of each shared folder on the other drive and have an rsync job run on a schedule.

Edit: I'm liking rsync much better. The scheduling works and I have duplicates of each shared folder. I don't have these duplicate shared folders exposed via samba. I set it up to not delete files on the backup if they're deleted on primary which gives me an extra option for recovering accidental file deletion vs what raid 1 does. I will swap out this backup drive every once in a while with the one in the safety deposit box.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!