RMA'd motherboard not initialising network devices?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have no idea why other than perhaps one of my attempts to change it earlier finally took?

Could be. Most operations in Linux take effect immediately. However, if a service needs to be stopped and restarted, a reboot effectively does the same.

On the other hand, there may be a price to pay if deviating from the standard. As of Debian 9, installed software and support alike, will assume the new convention is in place.

• Could be. Most operations in Linux take effect immediately. However, if a service needs to be stopped and restarted, a reboot effectively does the same.
    On the other hand, there may be a price to pay if deviating from the standard. As of Debian 9, installed software and support alike, will assume the new convention is in place.

There were many reboots while I was trying to get them to be eth0 and eth1 and obviously none of those took. The part I'm confused about now is why they didn't take then and just randomly decided to take now. Of course now I need to try backtracking and undoing all of my mess so that they can be whatever they want to be. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm looking into an issue along similar lines. In the process of updating one of my servers to OMV4, I found that the etherwake command only sends to int eth0.

etherwake [mac address] 2>&1' with exit code '1': SIOCGIFHWADDR on eth0 failed: No such device (Whoever supports etherwake didn't get the memo..... :) )

In the process of looking into the in's and out's of using a device alias (eth0=eno1):
    It seems that the new interface naming routine may, in some cases, be doing something similar - renaming eth0 to something else. :rolleyes:

In reading through the reasons "why" this is done, it seems the new naming convention is seeking to (1.) indicate in the name, a more granular description of the hardware and (2.) prevent situations where the OS renames interfaces. (Does the renamed interface thing seem familiar to you?)
    I don't know if there was a wide spread problem with the old method but, this seems to fall into a category I prefer to avoid, "if it works, don't fix it".

**Edit: The command wakeonlan replaces etherwake and it works with the new int names.**

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!