Uninstalled Plex plugin and web control panel stopped working

• Sometimes I have OMV... So, here's the problem: I didn't need Plex installed anymore, so from the web control panel I first stopped the server and then uninstalled the plugin. Little problem: the web control panel has the very bad behaviour of letting apt do whatever it wants. In this case, run apt-get autoremove automatically, although packages listed there are actually sometimes still required, even if apt doesn't think so. The result is that, after uninstalling the plugin, the web control panel stopped working. This is the error I get straight away:

Error #0:
    OMV\Rpc\Exception: Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:140
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(95): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Services', 'getStatus', Array, Array, 3)
    #1 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()
    #2 {main}

and this is the error I get if I try to login again (after I did a reboot):

Error #0:
    OMV\Rpc\Exception: Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:140
    Stack trace:
    #0 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/session.inc(56): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UserMgmt', 'authUser', Array, Array, 2, true)
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceSession->login(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('login', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(95): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Session', 'login', Array, Array, 3)
    #5 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()
    #6 {main}

I also tried to run omv-firstaid and select Configure web control panel, but straight after asking me which port the control panel should listen to, the script quits and in the ssh console I'm left with this error: "ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory"

Now, unfortunately I didn't think about copying the list of packages that got autoremoved together with plex, because I didn't think it would cause such a big issue. I remember there was a package with "json" in the name, along with libmcrypt4, avahi and a few more. Can anybody help me to figure out this mess and get the web control panel working again? Thanks! (OMV is at latest version of 4.x)

EDIT: another thing that popped to my mind is that the plex removal process might have messed up with some php configuration, because I read some php-relatd messages while everything was uninstalling.

• A bit more troubleshooting. I tried to run omv-engined -f -d and this is what I get:

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/autoloader.inc:28
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: {closure}('OMV\\Environment')
    #1 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(356): spl_autoload_call('OMV\\Environment')
    #2 {main}
      thrown in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/autoloader.inc on line 28
    omv-engined[7229]: PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/autoloader.inc:28
    Stack trace:
    #2 {main}
    PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/autoloader.inc:28
    Stack trace:
    #2 {main}

Now, a while ago I added sury.org repos to my system (these repos provide up-to-date php versions for debian stable) and I installed php 7.2 and removed php 7.0 (and all other versions). Now, this was at least 2 weeks ago and I have rebooted the server since that change. The web control panel has always worked fine after the change, so I'm pretty confident that this is not the issue.
    Now, the error above says that the function mb_strtolower() is undefined, but the package php7.2-mbstring that provides it is installed in the system.

• be sure there are no leftovers, on your server

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…re/openmediavault/engined

in omv-firstaid clear all cache, every option related to it cache.

also check line 140 in this file No such file or directory in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:140

it is trying to load something it is no there anymore fr me sounds like cache.

• I checked for leftovers in the places that you told me (looking at the github link) but there were no leftovers. I tried to clean the cache of the webpanel as you said but to no avail. I had already tried to look at line 140, but it's not very useful as it's: throw new Exception("Failed to connect to socket: %s", and the surrounding code is:

which also doesn't help me too much.

• I'm doing a bit more troubleshooting and I'm reporting results here, to see if it can help someone to understand my problem. This one might help to narrow the problem down, but it's also leaving me puzzled.

I tried to run "ps aux | grep php" to see what was there and what wasn't. It turns out that the socket php-fpm-openmediavault-webgui.sock, which I guess is the one to run the web interface, is not running. All the others are, and indeed I can access all other websites hosted on the machine. In /var/run the socket file is there, so at least that. Could it be that the mb_strtolower error is not due to the extension not being loaded (because it is, I tried it with a test page running php with the same php configuration used to run the webgui) but just by the fact that php is not running properly? But if that is the case, why do I get that error instead of just php not running or similar? And also, why would the login screen appear in the webinterface webpage if php is not running? Still, the socket is not running but it used to when everything was working, and I'm not quite sure how to make it run again.

• It's possible to mark this thread as solved and close it. The solution still seems weird to me, however this is what happened: I reinstalled php7.0 modules (mind you: I didn't reinstall the php7.0 binaries, just the modules like mbstring and the like) and now everything is working again. I had another look at packages installed and php7.0-cli was still installed, maybe that's what OMV is using and has been using all the time.
    If I can have my say, probably the package openemdiavault should have all these php modules as dependencies, so that people cannot uninstall them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I can have my say, probably the package openemdiavault should have all these php modules as dependencies, so that people cannot uninstall them.

OMV does have the dependencies for the packages IT needs - https://github.com/openmediava…avault/debian/control#L11

It is possible a plugin doesn't have the dependency it needs but I don't know how the dependency would have been installed in the first place. I also don't remember this ever being a problem with OMV or a plugin.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!