Need help: complete hard drive swap

• OMV 4.x
    • Need help: complete hard drive swap

I have a ~28TB mergefs partition that I've cobbled together from a lot of small disks. However, I'm starting to worry about hard drive performance, because these disks are 4-5 years old at this point. I want to swap them out to a set of 4 10TB hard drives I just bought, but what is the most economical way to clone my existing mergefs partition so that I don't have to rebuild my entire OMV system from scratch? I have about ~21TB of data.
    • Like, let's say my mergefs partition is called "media," because it is. And it has as subfolders /Music, /TV, /Movies, /Comics, etc.

Can I mount a new partition, call it media2, and then just use rsync or whatever to transfer /media/Music to /media2/Music, etc., and then, when I've transferred everything, umount /media, take the system down, swap out the disks, and remount /media2 as the new /media in OMV?
    • mergerfs is not a partition or a block device. It sits above your drives and creates a common point where the merged contents of drives in the pool can be accessed. (It just appears to be one drive.) You have justification for being concerned. Without protection from a failed drive, with something like SNAPRAID, data loss from a dead or dying drive is just a matter of time.

So what do you have in mind? Do you want to copy data off of old drives to a new larger drives, until all the old drives are replaced? mergerfs will allow this.

What is your storage policy and, are you familiar with the command line?

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.
    • Thanks for the advice. I want to set up SnapRAID too, but I don't know how.

So on the merged drive I have: my raw media files and my plex database (nothing else). All of my docker containers and OMV system are on a SSD. What I want to do is copy all of my media and my Plex database to the new, larger drives.

I don't know what a "storage policy" is (I suppose "retain everything" fits) and yes, I am familiar with the command line.
    • lh1983 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I want to set up SnapRAID too, but I don't know how.
      There's a -> thread that explains it. There are a couple of SNAPRAID threads that are a bit more simplified, -> here. Just note that, the parity disk must be the same size as the largest disk in the group, or larger. (If you're setting something up for the first time, check out the guides section of the forum.)

This is what I was talking about, when I said storage policy.

________________________________________________________________________________________

You said "several drives" earlier. Do you have a server chassis? How many slots are available for new drives?

A couple tools that might make this easier are WinSCP and mc. The links to them and how to set them up are in this -> doc, on page 55 (this version).

• Existing path, most free space. Didn't change from the default.

I have a regular tower chassis, but it's pretty big. I don't have any free slots for drives, which is why I was hooking things up with a USB3 docking station.

Is there something with WinSCP that I can do that I can't do with my Samba shares or SSH into my OMV machine from PuTTY?

The post was edited 1 time, last by lh1983 ().

• lh1983 wrote:

Existing path, most free space. Didn't change from the default.
      For what you want to do, this is a good thing.

How about the the following?

flmaxey wrote:

Do you have a server chassis? How many slots are available for new drives?

• Houston,, we have a problem....

At least one new drive needs a local connection, for the purpose of copying data for an old drive to a new drive.
      (Otherwise, getting what you want done will be "interesting".)

Do you have an external drive dock?

How much free space is remaining on the (mergered) UnionFS drive?

(BTW: Setting up SNAPRAID requires the use use of one drive for parity, the largest.)