Automate USB Backup

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re: Automate USB Backup

Yea it is, atleast was the plan. This backup is more intended to be a "undelete" safety incase something gets deleted by user error. The files are stored on each user computer and then synced to OMV.
      Will check cron and rsync out, thx for the tip.

Few questions about the plugin itself.
      Does it auto backup the files when you plug it in?
      How does you know or can check if the backup is done?

Also, now it only comes up with this error:

Source Code

1. monit[1440]: 'fs_dev_disk_by-uuid_C0AC8D33AC8D254E' unable to read filesystem /dev/sde1 state

I checked the USB disk on windows computer (this) and it seems like the backup was done and the disk worked just fine.
    • Re: Automate USB Backup

"frohanss" wrote:

Few questions about the plugin itself.
      Does it auto backup the files when you plug it in?

Not by OMV itself. You have to develop a script which detects a new USB device and then forces some action. Look at THIS URL to get an idea how to do that. Before I decided to backup NAS data to another NAS like I've described HERE I was considering to use that, but I wanted a totally automated backup and did not like the idea of walking downstairs and plug in an USB device for every backup.

"frohanss" wrote:

How does you know or can check if the backup is done?

Let the script which starts the backup send a mail when all the commands are processed. You can append the log file, have a look at my example above how to write the output of rsync in a log.

"frohanss" wrote:

Also, now it only comes up with this error:

Source Code

1. monit[1440]: 'fs_dev_disk_by-uuid_C0AC8D33AC8D254E' unable to read filesystem /dev/sde1 state

I checked the USB disk on windows computer (this) and it seems like the backup was done and the disk worked just fine.

Hmm.. looks like the disk has an unknown or damaged file system. Try to re-partition it, OMV usually detects NTFS without problems.
      Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
      Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
      Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts