OMV and UPS

• I have a plan to use 450VA ups with my new coming odroid hc2 and OMV4. How OS working with it? Can it be automatically shutdown if UPS changing power to batteries? May be some scripts or addons?

• You should have no problem if you choose an UPS device which is supported by the Network UPS Tools.

If you configure the OMV-nut plugin the UPS device should be switched on and physically connected to your OMV NAS (in your case with USB I assume), because the plugin tries to communicate immediately with the UPS device after enabling. Otherwise an error message appears (at least in OMV 3). This may have changed in OMV 4.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Is there any chance to use "stupid" UPS without USB connection? May be OMV4 can send me mail or telegram message if something goes wrong with power so i can shoot down manually OMV?
    Actually i can't find REALLY small UPS with USB. Only huge serious towers with 600-800VA or more.

• AC UPS´s are available from about 180VA. The housing size is more or less determined by the size of the rechargeable battery.

UPS´s usually generate an acoustic alarm signal if the line power fails.

May be OMV4 can send me mail or telegram message if something goes wrong with power

How should OMV detect that a power fail occurs? You need an additional device in any case which monitors the power line and then send a message to OMV. This is usually the purpose of an UPS - besides to maintain the power supply.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• Is there any chance to use "stupid" UPS without USB connection?

Sure. Then you need some scripting skills and some logic to determine when the UPS is on battery (e.g. pinging the router and if there's no response within n minutes then shutting down the HC2). With a 5V setup (e.g. ODROID HC1 instead of HC2) even a simple power bank that supports 'pass thru' mode would then be sufficient.

BTW: using a traditional AC UPS is often a great way to waste more energy for the UPS than for HC2 + disk.

• BTW: using a traditional AC UPS is often a great way to waste more energy for the UPS than for HC2 + disk.

Yes, I can confirm that. I am using a HP T750 G2 model, which needs about 10-15 Watts constantly when the batteries are fully charged. There are some models on the market which advertise to consume exceedingly low power in standby mode.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• There are some models on the market which advertise to consume exceedingly low power in standby mode.

Those are the ones that need to be tested extensively. In my professional life I've seen way more UPS failures than mains power losses (Central Europe).

At a new location 2 months ago an APC Smart UPS we examined cut power to a whole rack cabinet the moment we connected an USB cable to it for using NUT. External UPS just like RAID arrays need care and constant testing. Thinking they would just work is IMO pretty naive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!