Passing a disk through to a OMV VM

• Hi, I have an OMV setup as a QEMU virtual machine in Proxmox.
    I want to pass through a physical disk to the virtual machine.
    I have the command to do that:-

qm set 104 -virtio2 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD6003FFBX-68MU3N0_V8G3xxxx

I should also say that I created 2 partitions first on this disk, 1x 5TB and 1x 1TB, and want to format and use them as ext4 with OMV.
    I have no need and no intention of using LVM for this particular drive as I don't intend to partition or extend it further. It is only going to be used to store data, no VM's or anything else.
    The reason I am passing through like this is for easy recovery of data on another machine as it will be just pure ext4.

After running the above command and rebooting the QM virtual machine OMV it does indeed see the new drive, but not the partitions, just 1x 6TB drive.
    I noticed that when I did a 'grep' on the disk from the command line it showed the whole disk, and the two partitions:-

root@pmx-1:~# ls -l /dev/disk/by-id | grep V8G3xxxx
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jan 27 19:04 ata-WDC_WD6003FFBX-68MU3N0_V8G3xxxx -> ../../sdb
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jan 27 19:04 ata-WDC_WD6003FFBX-68MU3N0_V8G3xxxx-part1 -> ../../sdb1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jan 27 19:04 ata-WDC_WD6003FFBX-68MU3N0_V8G3xxxx-part2 -> ../../sdb2
    root@pmx-1:~#

I'm thinking that I should be adding 2 lines to my OMV virtual machine and supplying the '. . . . -part1' and '. . . . -part2' instead of the entire drive.

Any comments on this anyone?

p.s. i'm not using just sbd/sdb1/sdb2/ as these ID's can change if I take the drive out and mount it elsewhere, hence using the drive's unique identifier.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!