fails to boot after reconnecting storage drives after install

• thanks I added the NTFS drive. It booted fine. So hopefully that issue is resolved. At first I could not see the whole NTFS drive but I resolved that now.
    One thing I noticed but not sure if you can help. All the previous share names I created in Samba still show up in the drop down. Why is that?
    I checked out the smb.conf file and I don't see them listed. I only see my current ones. Seems to me they are cached some place.
    Would you know how to clear them out?

thanks again

• Not sure why you have stale shares remaining. You might be able to clean them out by carefully editing the <shares> section of the /etc/openmediavault/config.xml file. Make a backup copy of that file first.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• thanks, I will check that out. Yes the drop down shows every share name I created. I had a bad habit of calling the share ovm.

They are all in that config.xml for sure. That's a big edit. I may wait till later. It's a slight name difference but would be nice to make the neat.

• Hi, this seems to be a problem with Debian based distributions. You can find a lot of questions about BusyBox and dropping into initramfs during an install and some very complicated solutions that are mostly missing from initramfs. You need a live distribution except for this solution.

Watching the install sequence, the devices get recognised and written to grub but you need to leave the usb boot device in place because the install only removes the CD boot device. Obviously select the boot disk on reboot not the USB.
    Once you have a command prompt remove the USB.
    You can then log in as root from the console and do the following:-

grep "/boot/v" /boot/grub/grub.cfg

This will display the incorrect device names for reference.

Then update grub as follows:-

update-grub

Do a grep again...

grep "/boot/v" /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and confirm that the device names have been changed to the boot disk.
    This has been reported as a bug and is not fixed up to Debian 9.5
    Thanks to Jamie Scott IT Administrator at the Institute for Gravitational Research, University of Glasgow

https://arran.physics.gla.ac.u…ot-partitions-with-uuids/

Hardware: Dell T7400 16Gb Workstation.

• Hi Sullysnet,

I take it this is the solution then.

Update

I have just reinstalled with two by 2 Tb drives added. On the T7400 motherboard there are a total of 7 SATA connectors. I have been happily using HDD0 to HDD3 which were nicely listed in order in the boot up screen.
    However my guess is that the BIOS will report this differently to what the OMV installation scripts(really Debian 9 Stretch) can deal with and put the USB first in the list of devices so it must be left in place to allow grub to find the boot image.

This time I used the SATA connected to SATA_0 and the other two data disks connected to the HDD0 and HDD1 sockets on the motherboard. Interesting the boot screen does not report SATA_0 but it is defined correctly in the Setup screen on the Dell T7400.

During the install the USB was shown as the second device found and had the boot drive automatically selected to install to.
    OVM now boots from the correct disk now once the USB is removed.

Although it is reported as a bug I am not sure it is easy to work out what the BIOS is doing with the hardware ordering and write a script to deal with every possible case. This is probably one of the reasons the Debian maintainers are moving to UUID device names in the grub installer.

Most of the initramfs and BusyBox issues on the web are from Ubuntu people adding or changing hardware and my guess is they should routinely use the fix reported by Jamie Scott. We both owe him a vote of thanks he has saved me from going nuts as I had been able to install OMV relatively easily on an older machine.

I would also like to thank @votdev and the other maintainers for their dedication and hard work. Open Media Vault is very intuitive and I have enjoyed working with it and very happy to treat it as an Appliance and avoid the command line.

Previously used the Synology Disk Station OS which I thought was the easiest NAS to use but I am coming to like Open Media Vault more and more.

• Not sure why you have stale shares remaining. You might be able to clean them out by carefully editing the <shares> section of the /etc/openmediavault/config.xml file. Make a backup copy of that file first.

I cleaned these out and that worked great. One issue that I find that I cannot figure out is it keeps creating and old folder along with the new share. So my share is OMV-1 and I create it at root of the drive /
    when I open explorer I see OMV-1 and my data but I also see an old folder OVM-1. I delete it but it seems to return. Maybe its on the drive and I can delete it as root from the mnt.

I will check that out now

it looks like every single share I created is under sharedfolders. Not sure why this is.

• /sharedfolders is where OMV places shares. These are not the actual shared folders though. Those are the directories you specified when creating the shares. Look in OMV | Access Rights Management | Shared Folders for the defined relative paths.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• /sharedfolders is where OMV places shares. These are not the actual shared folders though. Those are the directories you specified when creating the shares. Look in OMV | Access Rights Management | Shared Folders for the defined relative paths.

thanks, funny I just figured that out. This whole time I was cleaning the shares from the config but you have to do these steps which I was confused on.

1. mount your drives, in my case EXT4 empty and NTFS not empty
    2, setup shares under access rights - shared folders (on the NTFS drive I could point it to root / but on the EXT4 share I could not point it to root. I had to do a folder, so I created OMV-1 folder on the OMV-1 share so it looks like this \omv-1\OMV-1 (not my favorite way to do it but I cannot copy files to the root of that drive without a folder)
    3. setup shares under SMB that point to the shared folders created under access rights (you see them in the drop down)

So my next question is why couldn't I write to the root of the EXT4 partition? It seems I was forced to create a first folder and then copy my files under that. So I can't do this \omv-1\ I had to do \omv-1\OMV-1

thanks

• Not being able to create a share as being the root of a drive might be an OMV constraint, I don't know for sure. IIRC, there is a limit to the number of files that can be be written to the root of a drive, but there is no limit to the number of files that can be written to a directory.

--

thanks I am figuring the same since the NTFS is okay but the not with the EXT4. I'm wondering if I had data on there already if it would work but I imagine that I still wouldn't be able to make a new folder in the root. As
    long as I have my share names looking normal I don't mind.

Messing around with everything I nuked my data on the drive. Lucky it was only a copy. Interesting thing about it is the data was not showing in the folder I deleted and was showing in another folder but for some reason
    it had a link still to the data and deleted it all. Copying it all back now.

• guys can you help me with another one. When I bring my machine out from WOL it shows some odd errors.

I will need to take a picture with my phone tomorrow but the basics is

detected hardware unit hang on e1000e which is my NIC, I have an Intel Dual NIC so I could created a bond.
    the other errors maybe normal related to reset adapter unexpectedly and then speed change to port.

The next one leaves me right at the error. If I hit enter it goes to the normal login but not sure why it just sits there at this prompt

ata3 softreset failed (first fis failed)
    ata3 softreset failed (first fis failed)

If I hit entry I am at the login screen

Seems odd.

thanks

• I rebuilt my OMV server with v5 today and I ran into this issue again. I questioned why it was happening and almost reinstalled a second time with the drives added. I found out, for some reason if I reversed 2 of the drives cables this issue went away. I tried with just one drive connected and switched and it booted. Then I added in the other drive and it booted again.

Just want to say thanks again for the help and just thought it was interesting if anyone else ran into this kind of thing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!