fails to boot after reconnecting storage drives after install

• I installed OMV today and the install went okay, few glitches to fix partitions from Ubuntu install. Now that I have it installed I tried to connect my NTFS hard drives. I know NTFS is not supported and right now I am formatting EXT4
    on the drive I will use for my media storage.

What I want to know is why it is failing to boot with those drives connected. I would assume it would boot to let me configure the drives but I an up with a crashed system and left at the command prompt.
    Any suggestions? Now I get the same thing when connecting that reformatted EXT4 drive.

I am left at initramfs with errors mounting /dev on /root/dev faild : no such file or directory

Boots fine with the drive connected.

thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I assume that grub does not use predictable device names, so /dev/sda becomes the new plugged in device and the boot fails because the origin root device becomes a different device name.

• I would if I could get to the box. Now I am back at that prompt.

totally confused. I have my boot drive connected to the 0 controller and the data drive is on controller 3 how is it possible that Linux is confusing the order of drives.
    Once I can get back in I will try to post the fstab but I keep rebooting and end up at the same prompt there I can only seem to type help

• so the fstab doesn't show the new drive. Not 100% sure how to add it. I am trying now to add it in the web tool. Still don't understand why the boot is now sdb1 and the data drive is sda1
    Also when I try to format the drive in the tool I keep getting over and over failt to read /tmp/bgstatus0c4LS4' (size=0)

• sorry I am a bit frustrated and posted that last message. I guess I just need to see if you guys could help me first.

So it seems that grub keeps getting confused on which is the boot drive.

I attached a picture of the fstab output

thanks

• You gave up too quickly. The solution to your problem is trivial, but you don't seem to be interested it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Whatever you did to show your fstab didn't work. Try again.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• According to the fstab you posted, your machine is not using sda1 or sdb1 to identify devices. It is using unique UUIDs and there should not be any confusion with those.

--

• I agree but its still confusing and some times leaving me at that prompt. Right now it is up but I know if I reboot again it may again end up at that prompt /initramfs
    If it is using ID's then why would it get confused? Is it because the Data drive is sda and the boot is sdb?

thanks

• As I said, sda and sdb are not used in fstab, so it shouldn't matter.

--

• Boot into your BIOS and examine/change the boot order there.

--

• I can check that but I don't see that being an issue but maybe I can exclude it from trying to boot from that drive in anyway. It seems to be that GRUB is confusing things randomly grabs the correct drive.
    Then again I didn't see any reference to the other hard drive in grub, so that is what is confusing.

Boot is 0
    Data drive is 3

• Maybe try running as root with all drives in place:

grub-mkconfig
    update-grub

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!