Move docker /var/lib/docker folder on external drive

• Instead of linking, i tried editing the daemon.json file with:

{

"data-root": "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-HC/DockerBasePath/docker",

"storage-driver": "overlay2"

}

If i try: " docker info | grep 'Docker Root Dir' " the output is "Docker Root Dir: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-HC/DockerBasePath/docker "

So the path is ok, so why i do not see anything into OMV Docker?

Anyway i think that the link is backwards, it should be ln -s /var/lib/docker /new/path and not ln -s /new/path /var/lib/docker. Right?

• Did you properly copy all the files and directories from /var/lib/docker to /srv/dev-disk-by-label-HC/DockerBasePath/docker ?

If you didn't properly copy them, then docker won't see them.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Did you properly copy all the files and directories from /var/lib/docker to /srv/dev-disk-by-label-HC/DockerBasePath/docker ?

If you didn't properly copy them, then docker won't see them.

I think so, did it several times. What command do you suggest? So i can try right now.

Could be the difference of file systems? Microsd is btrfs and HD is ext4.

EDIT: Yep, it was the different filesystem. Writing here so it can help someone else. You can't move docker base path on different filesystems.

• I did originally ln -s /sharedfolders/AppData/data/docker /var/lib/docker but in fact it wont work this way docker has to be a symlink outside of a share folder I put it directly on the root of my disk

the only problem I I am using OMV4 and do not know how to connect it with portainer to uprade to OMV5

• I did originally ln -s /sharedfolders/AppData/data/docker /var/lib/docker but in fact it wont work this way docker has to be a symlink outside of a share folder I put it directly on the root of my disk

the only problem I I am using OMV4 and do not know how to connect it with portainer to uprade to OMV5

Maybe you should have used the complete absolute path of the disk/directory instead of the "sharedfolder"? For example /srv/dev-disk-by-label-etc.

Anyway i do not know if the symlink works if the directories are on different filesystems, if this is your case.

Only thing i can notice is that you used "/sharedfolders/AppData/data/docker" the image shows a second docker dir nested into the first docker dir. Maybe you have to fix that?

• Maybe you should have used the complete absolute path of the disk/directory instead of the "sharedfolder"? For example /srv/dev-disk-by-label-etc.

Anyway i do not know if the symlink works if the directories are on different filesystems, if this is your case.

Only thing i can notice is that you used "/sharedfolders/AppData/data/docker" the image shows a second docker dir nested into the first docker dir. Maybe you have to fix that?

I am aware of this i got an extra docker folder but the link goes to the right one so it is working.

• Well on omv 4 I am not using portainer, see there my first test trying to upgrade to omv5 RE: Reconnecting with my existing docker data and portainer not working

- like I said I got an extra top docker folder not sure how to delete it without loosing the real nested bottom folder docker! so since it is woking like this for a long time I never took care of this!

ls -asl /var/lib/docker

0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Nov 2 11:50 /var/lib/docker -> /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WD_10TB_1/docker

• You are right it supposed to be dev-disk-by-label-WD_10TB_1/docker/docker but I changed before posting for simplification and I forgot about it yes it always worked as

root@rockpro64:~# ls -asl /var/lib/docker

0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 46 Mar 27 23:16 /var/lib/docker -> /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WD_10TB_1/docker/docker

root@rockpro64:~#

I did not noticed since my Appdata are still in a share folder so I had to try to play a movie to realize the issue

• I'm on OMV 4, changed the docker base path editing the damon.json file for docker. To now i switched over docker-compose to create my containers, I use Portainer only for quick visual info. I've installed it with docker-compose.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!