How to come back to a "running" shell?

• Hi,
    some tasks in OMV take quite a while. In the stage of learning how to work with OMV I like to see the output of a command.
    If I start a long process in the terminal (Putty/Shellinabox) on my laptop and I have to turn off/reboot my laptop, how can I come back to this exact shell I already started to see the output of the process?
    Is this possible?

Thanks.
    Best.
    Fabian

MoBo: Fujitsu D3417-B
    CPU: Intel Celeron G3900
    RAM: Samsung DDR4 - 8 GB ECC
    Case: Fractal Design Node 80
    HDD: SSD 64GB (System), 2*3TB+1*4TB (Data) + 1*4TB (Parity). UnionFS + Snapraid
    OMV 4
    Router: Fritzbox 7590

• Thanks, this was quick...very helpful!
    I have to learn it, but it works :)
    Great!
    Thanks.
    Fabian

OMV 4

• I am using screen too. It is in the operation a bit getting used to. Here is a link to the some important keyboard shortcuts.
    In a terminal window start the program by the command screen. Then start your long term task. Detach from the task by keyboard shortcut 'Ctrl-a d'. Then you can close the terminal window. The task is still executed in the background. To reattach open a new terminal session, then type screen -r

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo () aus folgendem Grund: typo

• I am using screen too. It is in the operation a bit getting used to. Here is a link to the some important keyboard shortcuts.
    In a terminal window start the program by the command screen. Then start you long term task. Detach from the task by keyboard shortcut 'Ctrl-a d'. Then you can close the terminal window. The task is still executed in the background. To reattach open a new terminal session, then type screen -r

Thanks for explaining - I figures this out after a while as well ;)
    But it was more afford...
    Thanks again.
    Fabian

OMV 4

• Hi,

thanks again for the help here.
    I am just thinking if there is something similar to the screen command (I use this often) for the GUI? Sometimes I do some longer things in the GUI and have to switch of my PC. How can I come back to the showing process (a snapraid fix started in the GUI for example)? Is there a chance?
    Thanks.
    Best.
    Fabian

OMV 4

• Any hint for my question? Thanks. F.

OMV 4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!