Problem with second Network Port english/deutsch

• Offizieller Beitrag

According to SM i can use the Port for ipmi AND Network at same time.

I know I have read the manual, but, the issue here is not the hardware it's the OS, you're getting into the realms of networking that I have not dealt with for many years.

With your windows machine whilst you may have configured the dual nic, in reality it can only use ONE route, this is from MS Support

For your SM board to use both nic's is to configure two different subnets then you would route the subnets to communicate, none of this is necessary within a simple network at home.

If you could do the same as your windows machine it would make no difference as a network packet will only use one route.

The best option for that SM board is to use the IPMI nic for that purpose and configure the other LAN and WAN (WAN for updates). Another alternative is to perhaps configure the IPMI nic for internal networking, so all yours machine point to that IP for shares etc, but that may create additional work.

• i followed your link, but this is a different setup to mine.

I have a FritzBox (4 LAN Ports) connected to the outside by telekom. In my rack is a 24port managed Netgear switch connected to the FritzBox. Every room in the house is connected to that switch.
    Also in the rack is a 4U server chassis with the hardware for the NAS. The 2 LAN ports from the Supermicro Board are connected to that Netgear switch and are showing up in the netgear and also in the FritzBox

• Offizieller Beitrag

i followed your link, but this is a different setup to mine.

I know, what I'm trying to get you to understand is that using two nic's on the same network with the same gateway not only makes no sense as there is no performance benefit, it's not possible as IP packets will only use one route.

Your set up is the same as mine albeit your hardware is beefier, so you have Router (FritzBox) -> Switch <- server and house. Only one gateway the FritzBox. Yes the FritzBox can see it as can the Netgear switch because they 'see' the IP address assigned to each network port.

This file /ect/network/interfaces shows your OMV's IP configuration and it will probably display eno2.

If you really want to test what you want to do back up that file then edit it with the settings you want, then reboot, what could happen, I don't know, but it could 'brick' OMV unless it can resolve itself during the boot process.

• I know, what I'm trying to get you to understand is that using two nic's on the same network with the same gateway not only makes no sense as there is no performance benefit, it's not possible as IP packets will only use one route.

ok, i got that now. In the last hour i did reset the config by unplugging the shared port, deleting the 'eno2', adding 'eno1', restarting the system and adding 'eno2' without a Gateway. So i have now 2 interfaces with static IP adresses in IPv4 and deactivatet IPv6 (because i dont know how to set them up to static) One of the Interfaces is going out to the world, the other one is staing home. ;)

But what i'm wondering about is, when i'm starting the system, i'm getting always the message "no network interface(s) available"
    In OMV the interface(s) online. Strange, isnt it??

• Offizieller Beitrag

But what i'm wondering about is, when i'm starting the system, i'm getting always the message "no network interface(s) available"

?( that is also in your original image what's the output of cat /etc/network/interfaces

But, I take it works?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!