No access to Nas anymore IP address connection failed

• Hello,

my ODROID-HC1 Nas which is running without any problems since months cannot be reached anymore. A ping at the console shows no response. The lan cables are well plugged in and the blue status LED at the Nas is blinking the red power LED is constant on. so good so fine. Last Sunday I mad an standard software update also here no issues. I logged off as usual. . Today I wanted to look if new updates are there...but no access to the server. I removed the power supply and did reboot...no change...
    Any hint or advise?

Rudi

• After restart (removed power supply) I got several mails from system:

Connection failed Service nginx
    Description: failed protocol test (HTTP) at [127.0.0.1]:80 [TCP/IP]--cannot resolve [127.0.0.1]:80

then

Connection succeeded nginx
    Description: connection succeeded to [127.0.0.1]:80[TCP/IP]

and finally

does not exist Service rrdcached
    Description: process is not running

It is strange that the system seems to be running as the HDD is frequently starting and the cron job send me an message about HDD status...

Still have no idea...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep. Why?

Usually you can tell a DHCP server to reuse the same IP for a specific device. But if the device is turned off too long that may lapse. And a new ip is assigned.

I use fixed adresses for my servers. OMV lets you assign a fixed adress to the device. Just make sure it is not already used or in a sequence that the DHCP server may use.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You set a static adress in OMV under network / interfaces. Very surprising. ;) It is a little sketchy because when you change the ip you suddenly loose contact with OMV. And you will have to reconnect using the new static ip.

Check the DHCP server to make sure you don't use an ip that may collide with another.

As you set a static IP you also have to set netmask and gateway. For you I assume that is netmask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.0.1

• As you set a static IP you also have to set netmask and gateway.

Please don´t forget DNS server entries.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have configured static leases on my router (GL-AR300M). That way I can let the IP in OMV be assigned by the DHCP server in the router and on my router I map the MAC to a IP and a host name. That way I can reference my OMV boxes by name or IP number and the names always match the same numbers.

nas1.local is the same as 192.168.1.101 and so on.

• Please don´t forget DNS server entries.

I wrote this because there are several issues here in the forum (mostly OMV updates related) which are caused by no or wrong DNS information in the OMV settings.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• there are several issues here in the forum (mostly OMV updates related) which are caused by no or wrong DNS information in the OMV settings

Maybe we need to develop technologies that are able to solve such problems? A central location to manage all devices? The ability to forget about numbers/addresses and to use names (since we're human beings and not machines).

Wait! This already exists. It's called DHCP and almost every implementation today supports so called dynamic DNS updates. An ODROID XU4 when using our OMV image can be accessed using http://odroidxu4 in 99.99% of all installations, same with a Raspberry Pi, ping raspberrypi most probably simply works. No need to even know about such stuff like IP addresses, netmasks, gateway and DNS server addresses.

It just works once we learn to forget about anachronistic crap like accessing devices by IP addresses...

• No need to even know about such stuff like IP addresses, netmasks, gateway and DNS server addresses.

Yes, you´re right. Much easier than manual configuration. But this does not change the fact that this configuration options still exist in OMV.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• Hello,

problem is fixed. It was a wrong configuratoin at MOV from my side. I ran well for more that one year to have no static IP address. But somehow OMV did request a new IP address and OMV was not reachable under the old IP address. Have changed it under network setting and now all is running well!

Rudi

• You set a static adress in OMV under network / interfaces. Very surprising. ;) It is a little sketchy because when you change the ip you suddenly loose contact with OMV. And you will have to reconnect using the new static ip.

Check the DHCP server to make sure you don't use an ip that may collide with another.

As you set a static IP you also have to set netmask and gateway. For you I assume that is netmask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.0.1

Netmask is 255.255.255.0 but Gateway is 192.168.0.254 :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!