Do 8TB Shingled drives work with openmediavault?

• I have a system with a LSI SAS controller (9201-16i, I think) and a bunch of 8TB Seagate shingled drives which works fine with Windows and with FreeNAS. I don't use RAID, only JBOD.
    When I try to use OpenMediaVault (latest released version) I can't seem to format even a single Seagate drive. I've try ext4 multiple times (using the GUI) and others at least once. The format takes hours and then won't mount.
    With Windows 10 (NTFS) or FreeNAS (ZFS), formatting takes a few seconds and the drives are completely reliable (I have run lots of drives continuously for the last two years with only a single HW failure.)
    Should I just give up on OpenMediaVault for now or am I doing something wrong? I liked the idea of using a standard Linux but maybe it won't work with these drives.

• I would contact Seagate support. The should be able to suggest some command line switches for a CLI format that help shingled drives.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

They work just fine in OMV!

At least if they are "drive managed". If they are "host managed" then all bets are off. Check the specs.

I have two old drive managed 8TB SHR Seagate Archive drives in full daily use in two ODROID HC2 that I use as backup storage servers. I use them for versioned rsync snapshots of important folders on two other HC2 with OMV.

I didn't have any problems with them, or even noticed anything different, when I put them into the HC2s and wiped and formatted. Worked just as with normal drives. But that is expected with drive managed shingled drives. They appear as normal drives. But with very different purpose of existence. Low price, big storage and almost only big sequential writes. But modern normal drives are even bigger than 8TB now...

Don't use shingled drives for normal NAS use and definitely not in RAID configurations. They work fine, even great, for backups with mostly sequential transfers and very little random writing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have two old drive managed 8TB SHR Seagate Archive drives in full daily use

I have two as well (rsnapshot backups) and no problems with mine either.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• So what am I doing wrong? Same system & drive works fine with Windows 10 and with FreeNAS.
    I use the "File Systems" tab to create a ext4 file system using a single Seagate 8TB drive. The creation takes hours, and the resulting file system isn't recognized or mounted by OMV.
    The system is a AMD motherboard, with a SAS9201-16i HBA card. Pretty standard and has no problems with Windows 10 or FreeNAS.
    I'll try a smaller, non-shingled drive. Also, I can reinstall OMV and see if something is wrong.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you tried wiping the drive in the Physical Disks tab before creating the filesystem?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Yes, I wiped the drive.
    I tried a non-shingled drive and it worked fine. I'm guess there's some command-line magic to set up the 8TB.
    I ran into some other problem, and gave up.
    For my needs, FreeNAS seems to be much easier to use. Again, just for my needs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm guess there's some command-line magic to set up the 8TB.

I didn't use the command line.

I ran into some other problem, and gave up.
    For my needs, FreeNAS seems to be much easier to use. Again, just for my needs.

I guess you can't try a couple of commands then. I guess it is just what you are used to. I have tried FreeNAS a few times and OMV is much easier.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!