Static IP not working after setting it

• I have a raspberry pi 3b+ with the latest image I could find of OMV4.
    I have almost everything installed and working, but the static IP doesnt stay, after some time it changes back, I created a network interface with the IP I wanted, added the netgate, gateway and DNS, but after some hours it reverts to the default IP that it receives from the router?.
    Its connected through ethernet.
    Is there something else I have to do to make the static IP stay?

EDIT: off topic but someone knows how to change the swap so it takes memory from the EHDD instead of the SD of the PI, and change the amount?
    and how much should be the memory slip on the raspberry pi, how much on RAM and how much for the GPU?

• how to change the swap so it takes memory from the EHDD instead of the SD of the PI

• What lets you believe swap on an USB2 connected HDD behind an internal USB hub would be a great idea?
    • Why do you think OMV would implement swap on SD card?
    • And why don't you access your Raspberry Pi by name and want to follow rituals like 'setting a static IP address' instead of accessing shares on raspberrypi? Is accessing the web interface via http://raspberrypi not working?
  • You shouldn't create a network interface you should is to edit/change the one that displays dhcp in System -> Network -> Interfaces

There was no interface when I created the static one, it doesnt change what appears one the interface, it still says static and the IP I set, but it doesnt work.

• What lets you believe swap on an USB2 connected HDD behind an internal USB hub would be a great idea?
    • Why do you think OMV would implement swap on SD card?
    • And why don't you access your Raspberry Pi by name and want to follow rituals like 'setting a static IP address' instead of accessing shares on raspberrypi? Is accessing the web interface via http://raspberrypi not working?

- I know its not optimal, its for when its out of ram, which it almost is, and to see what happens. Worst case it would do nothing or I would have to disable it. And as far as I've read it in raspbian many use it.
    - When I did htop it said that it had 500mb in swap.
    - Didnt know you could do that, but can I use that for accessing radarr or the same OMV control panel without the IP of the RPI? The Pi connects to the internet with no problem on both cases.

• And as far as I've read it in raspbian many use it

What happens at Raspbian is irrelevant for OMV. We are not basing on Raspbian and of course we don't swap to SD card since this is a stupid idea. OMV uses ZRAM instead with rather conservative settings. So we neither swap to SD card nor HDDs since both would be insane. We just use the available DRAM more intelligently.

Wrt names vs. numbers/adresses. We're human beings so why should we deal with crappy numbers like IP addresses? We can remember names way better and that's why stuff like DHCP and DNS exists and perfectly works since decades. There really is no need to fiddle around with IP addresses. It's 2019 and not last century any more.

• What happens at Raspbian is irrelevant for OMV. We are not basing on Raspbian and of course we don't swap to SD card since this is a stupid idea. OMV uses ZRAM instead with rather conservative settings. So we neither swap to SD card nor HDDs since both would be insane. We just use the available DRAM more intelligently.
    Wrt names vs. numbers/adresses. We're human beings so why should we deal with crappy numbers like IP addresses? We can remember names way better and that's why stuff like DHCP and DNS exists and perfectly works since decades. There really is no need to fiddle around with IP addresses. It's 2019 and not last century any more.

So its not really using swap even though it appears in htop? Bacause it does shows 488M in swap and I havent touched it.

So I just use the hostname instead of the IP? I had no idea that could be done, nor found the need for it, but it is more useful.

-Regarding the memory split on the raspberry pi, does OMV use its own or can I change it? I havent fount

• So its not really using swap

It is using swap but neither to SD card nor to other ultra slow storage (like USB2 attached HDDs). Again: ZRAM

If accessing your OMV box by name works then why would you fiddle around with addresses (or follow ancient rituals like 'setting a static IP address')? By not following those anachronistic principles (static IP...) and using technologies like DNS that work since decades access to your OMV box will be less troublesome.

Memory split on the RPi images should set up in a way with only the minimum assigned to the VideoCore, check /boot/config.txt for the actual value (should be 16GB).

• It is using swap but neither to SD card nor to other ultra slow storage (like USB2 attached HDDs). Again: ZRAM
    If accessing your OMV box by name works then why would you fiddle around with addresses (or follow ancient rituals like 'setting a static IP address')? By not following those anachronistic principles (static IP...) and using technologies like DNS that work since decades access to your OMV box will be less troublesome.

Memory split on the RPi images should set up in a way with only the minimum assigned to the VideoCore, check /boot/config.txt for the actual value (should be 16GB).

When you told me I could access it by name I searched a bit and found that it could be done and how to do it, didnt know until then.

That answers everything I had probelms/doubts with, thanks for all the help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!