New disks not recognized

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New disks not recognized

Hi all,

today I setup my OpenMediaVault Dell T30 server. As the OMV master ssd I'm using a Samsung 860 evo. Installation was successful and I'm reaching OMV via WebUi.

The next step was to add two new 8 TB WD disks. I neither can see them via putty with command fdisk -l:

OMV@Putty wrote:

root@omv:~# fdisk -l
      Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 232.9 GiB, 250059350016 bytes, 488397168 sectors
      Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
      Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
      I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
      Disklabel type: dos
      Disk identifier: 0xa1d56943

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
      /dev/nvme0n1p1 2048 471891967 471889920 225G 83 Linux
      /dev/nvme0n1p2 471894014 488396799 16502786 7.9G 5 Extended
      /dev/nvme0n1p5 471894016 488396799 16502784 7.9G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
      Then I thought I tried it via OMV WebUi "Disks" -> "Scan", but also at that point only the Samsung disk was found.

Since the disks are new I expect them to work and I'm quite sure, they are plugged in correctly to the power and to the data cable. Is there a way to find them anyway on the system?

A strange thing(?) is also, that I always get the message at boot, that the cover of the server was opened since the last boot - even if I restart it several times without opening the cover.

Thanks and kind regards,

Felix
      Kind regards,

Felix
    • FeBo2 wrote:

Is there a way to find them anyway on the system?
      Check the bios, if the bios sees them, then the OS will and vice versa

FeBo2 wrote:

A strange thing(?) is also, that I always get the message at boot, that the cover of the server was opened since the last boot - even if I restart it several times without opening the cover.
      Seen that before, just ignore it, but OMV is mean't to be run headless so you wouldn't see any errors :)
      Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?
    • Good Morning geaves,

thanks for your response.

geaves wrote:

Check the bios, if the bios sees them, then the OS will and vice versa
      That's a good hint, I'll do so, thank you.

geaves wrote:

Seen that before, just ignore it, but OMV is mean't to be run headless so you wouldn't see any errors :)
      It's not so a big issue for me at the moment, but I want to run the server not all of the day, but only when I'm at home. Therefore I want my openhabian2 raspberry pi to check, if my smartphone is at home. In case it is, it shall wake up the server on lan. I have to check if it then already is at a point, where the services,... of OMV can be used.
      But if I get you right you say, this is no message that comes from OMV, as it runs headless?!
      Kind regards,

Felix
    • FeBo2 wrote:

That's a good hint, I'll do so, thank you.
      Have found the manual it appears that there maybe two settings that you have to change.

Boot List Options: I would set this to legacy
      SATA Operation: default setting is Raid ON, I would set this to AHCI

If your Samsung Evo is connected to one of the SATA ports and you have made no changes then the above 2 options are set it would explain why OMV does not see the drives.
      Changing either of those or both 'may' prevent OMV from starting, I say may, you will not know until you make any changes to the bios.
    • Thanks once again. That's great help I never found this out on my own! I'll check the manual you linked and the params you mentioned trying to understand, why this should be done,...

Additionally I'll set these two params and then I'll see, if it's still able to boot or not. Otherwise I set them to their defaults, again.
      Kind regards,

Felix
    • FeBo2 wrote:

Otherwise I set them to their defaults, again.
      Option 1 you may be able to leave alone, but Option 2 will need changing to AHCI, otherwise you have to use the onboard software to add the two disks, but this would be presented to OMV as a single hard drive! Something you do not want to do.

If Option 2 is set to Raid ON this would explain why OMV cannot see them.
    • Good Morning,

a short info regarding my problem: Yesterday in the evening I changed the BIOS setting "SATA Operation" to "AHCI". The "Boot List Options" was already set to "legacy".

What a pitty, this didn't make it and when I check the drives within the BIOS, it says SATA1 = empty or none, SATA2 = ... Only one SATA seems to be detected as connected and that's with the DVD drive.

My next step will be, that I connect both drives with an external USB interface and directly add them to the USB port of my windows computer, so I at least see, if they are detected,... Because they are new (I unboxed them and immediately plugged them into the T30), I don't think both are damaged.

I bought the T30 second-hand (even if the seller said, he never used but only bought it), I'll also reset the BIOS settings to default, perhaps the first owner changed anything. This idea came just some minutes ago, so I didn't try that out, yet.

Thanks once again for your help!
      Kind regards,

Felix
    • The fact that those settings were changed within the BIOS would imply the machine had been used, the second setting in particular as the default setting for that is RAID.

Testing the drives via a usb even though they are new makes sense at least you can confirm the drives are working.

With reference to the drives not being seen in the BIOS; Faulty controller ports, SATA Cables, Power connections. One option might be is to use the DVD port to test the drives and use the DVD to test the functionality of the other ports.
      Boards are usually set up as SATA 0 1 2 3 etc with the DVD being plugged into SATA 0.

Resetting to defaults would not be something I would recommend especially option 2 as this will initiate RAID, changing option 1 would prevent the Samsung from booting.