Wake On Lan - WOL - Doesn't work reliable with autoshutdown

• Hello everyone!

After setting everything up I am really happy with my OMV NAS.

But there is one thing that doesn't work yet.

I can wake up my NAS with a WOL Magic packet if I put it to sleep with command line command: systemctl suspend

But: When the autoshutdown plugin suspends the NAS it is impossible to wake it up over ethernet. I have to press a button on the keyboard or the powerbutton to wake it up again.

I am very new to the linux world so I think I need some help to figure out what’s wrong.

Hardware Specs:
    Mainboard: Gigabyte H97N Wifi Mini ITX
    Ethernet: Onboard Intel GbE Ethernet Card
    CPU: Intel Celeron G1820

Thank your very much in advance!
    Greetings from Germany
    Simon

• Offizieller Beitrag

(Assuming you have wake-on-lan enabled in BIOS.)

For wake-on-lan purposes, you don't need to use the autoshutdown plugin. Look under System, Power Management, in Scheduled Jobs Tab and click the Add button. (Type: Shutdown) If you setup a standard power off shutdown, wake-on-lan will work.

• Hey, thank you for your answer!

The problem ist: I don't know when to shutdown the system - sometimes I need the NAS for the whole day and sometimes only a few hours a week. So there are no fixed times for a sheduled shutdown.

Autoshutdown puts the NAS to sleep when there is no Samba Connection and no connection via Port 443 (Seafile SSL Port).

The Problem is, that I can not wake the system up via WOL anymore after that.

But: WOL works if I use systemctl suspend (which I did for test purposes)

I'm sorry that I can't explain it much better but feel free to ask any question.
    Thank you very much! :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just loaded the autoshutdown plugin, for the first time, in a VM. (There's interesting possibilities there, for my use cases.)

The Problem is, that I can not wake the system up via WOL anymore after that.

This makes sense because OMV is already powered on. Wake-on-lan is about a hardware power state, it's OS independent and is very similar to hitting the front power switch. Even if the OS is in a low power consumption state, since full power is already applied, there's nothing to wake up.

That's not to say that the "magic wake up packet" couldn't be used to trigger reactivation of a suspended/hybernating OS.

However, you do have the makings of a work around. Based on your stated usage ("all day" or "a few hours per week") if you put the command systemctl suspend in the command line entry of a Scheduled Task and set it to trigger, daily, at Mid-night (1:00AM?), the OS will suspend until you wake it up.
    Of course the same would apply to the standard shutdown command as well. (OMV is pretty fast in booting up.) This might result in some extra hours of being on, but the net effect would be very close to the same.

• The Problem is, that I can not wake the system up via WOL anymore after that.

How do you tried to wake the nas? In the OMV network section there is an option to enable Wake-On-Lan. Have you checked that?
    In the Autoshutdown plugin in the General Settings there is also an option where different shutdown commands are selectable.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Thanks for your replies!

WOL in OMV -> Network -> Interface is currently OFF. Also testet ON but it makes no difference.

Autoshutdown shutdown command is set to "suspend".

WOL in the bios is ebabeled, too.
    ethtool for the ethernet adapter shows the following - WOL is enabeled
    Do the other WOL setting "p u m g" make any sense for my usecase?

• wol p|u|m|b|a|g|s|d...
    Set Wake-on-LAN options. Not all devices support this. The argument to this option is a string of characters specifying which options to enable.
    p Wake on phy activity u Wake on unicast messages m Wake on multicast messages
    b Wake on broadcast messages
    a Wake on ARP
    g Wake on MagicPacket(tm)
    s Enable SecureOn(tm) password for MagicPacket(tm)
    d Disable (wake on nothing). This option clears all previous options.

In your case: 'g': It seems the interface is currently configured for WOL by MagicPacket.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!