[RESOLVED] Network config on 0.5 Sardukaar

• Hopefully I will explain this in a way that makes sense. I did all of this while doing dinner/bath/bedtime for my 5 and 6 year old miniature humans. Then I got excited that it worked and backed up the working files which over wrote the original backups thereby limiting my ability to accurately document it.
    My bad.
    If you have any questions about anything that might be unclear, confusing or just plain contradictory please let me know and I will do what I can to clarify.

I have 4 NIC's eth0-3
    I was dorking around with bonding again and as soon as I would hit Apply my OMV box would drop offline.
    So I would walk over to it and run OMV-Firstaid get it back online and in the web interface I would have eth0 - dhcp (the IP I was connecting to) and Bond0 - static but not responding to pings. bond0 slaves were set to eth1-3

I then went back to the terminal and stopped networking and edited /etc/network/interfaces
    I removed the eth0 entry and added eth0 to bond0
    Started networking and was informed that it failed to start because it could not read interfaces.
    I opened interfaces in nano again and noted that eth0 was back and bond0 had the double entries again.
    I could remove the doubles in bond0 and start networking, but with the same results as before.... eth0 worked, bond0 didn't.

I then checked out /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and had this

So I removed the iface entry for eth0, added eth0 to the bondiface made it look like this

Then I went back to /etc/network and edited interfaces to look like this:

Then I rebooted and everything came back up correctly.
    I know next to nothing about Linux and even less about OMV but it would appear that the config.xml and interfaces weren't getting updated correctly and conflicting. I did the same thing on both of my OMV boxes and it worked both times. (Obviously I was having the same issue on both to begin with.)

Remember, if you're drinking, don't drive and if you're driving, don't drink.
    in addition to backing up your files before editing them.

• kevon513 - Brilliant walk through. I am pretty sure this will help others that experience issues with bonding.
    I'm planning on implementing bonding as well, always nice to scout the area before starting moving into this so I know what to expect.

• Hi all,

I have some trouble with the bonding on OMV 0.5.
    The difference with kevon513 for me is a fixed IP address.

I check the file : /etc/openmediavault/config.xml
    ->The configuration seem to be good.

I check the file : /etc/network/interfaces
    -> The configuration is strange i have the line

Code
    bond-primary eth0
        bond-mode 0
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-downdelay 200
        bond-updelay 200

are repeated.
    The network apear but i have an error on login. (I try omg-firstaid and same error on login).

Do you have an idea ?

OMV Erasmus (always the last version) - version:AMD64 - noyau:4.7.0 - CPU:AMD II X2 250 - RAM:8Gb - RAID1 and RAID5

• I try to use only one NIC with a fixed IP, but in this case i can't login on web GUI. If i do a "omg-firstaid" and change to DHCP. I reboot and after the web GUI work.

I'm don't know what is the problem. It's a new installation.

OMV Erasmus (always the last version) - version:AMD64 - noyau:4.7.0 - CPU:AMD II X2 250 - RAM:8Gb - RAID1 and RAID5

• does your config.xml show an entry for "iface" and "bondiface"?
    Mine was and the NIC in the iface section was supposed to be included in the bondiface section. For me, removing the iface and adding the NIC to the bondiface section seemed to do the trick.
    I don't know if I can be anymore help than that unfortunately, I'm not well versed in Linux, I think I just got lucky when I figured it out. :)

• I check the config.xml and i have only the "boniface" I compare with the on on your post and it's nearly the same :

• The only other thing I did was to manually rewrite the interfaces.
    Make a backup copy of /etc/network/interfaces
    then replace the contents with this (assuming that your DNS server is also 192.168.0.254, if it isn't then be sure to change it)

save it and reboot.
    Hopefully that will work. If it doesn't... then I dunno and will have to defer to a higher power :)

• Hi,

I had the very same situation yesterday with new two OMV boxes: one HP N54L and a HP N40L, with a NC360T dual NIC each.

O each box I have three NICs: the internal one (eth0) and the dual NC360T (eth1 and 2), the last ones bonded.

When I create the bond as dynamic IP and 802.3ad (LACP), everything works, but as soon as I change the bond to static IP, the interface crashes.

The solution was to login locally and edit /etc/network/interfaces by deleting the duplicated settings for the bond0 (as the quoted example) and restart:

removed----------------------------
    dns-nameservers 10.0.105.2
    bond-slaves eth0 eth1
    bond-primary eth0
    bond-mode 0
    bond-miimon 100
    bond-downdelay 200
    bond-updelay 200
    --------------------------------------

So, the problem remains on the v0.5.30.

Thanks for a great project.

• I created a bug report so that Volker looks at the erro again and can hopefully can fix it finally.

http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=952

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• nice .i told this month ago but no one reacted. now i can install my dual intel card again and setup the bond again. thanks god

HP-Proliant Microserver Gen8 | omv = always latest | 64 bit | 1x3TB ,3x4TB , 1x500GB HDD for Boot | omvextrasorg = latest | HP P212| Plugins = NUT, HWRaid, luksencryption OMV extras

• Better late than never guys. ;)

Volker doesn't watch the forums so often these days because he is busy coding, so we sometimes have to just fill out a bugtracker report that he gets notice of it.

Also the last request from Volker here was the output of the interfaces file, he didn't got notice of it so I added this to the request, because of that he could fix the bug now.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "WastlJ"

From Volker:
    Fixed in openmediavault 0.5.31, see http://sourceforge.net/p/openmediavault/code/849

I can confirm that link bonding works with 0.5.0.31 and I am very happy about that. ;)

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!